Bedliner painted boat bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris

Reaction score
Bedliner painted boat bottoms.....WOW! What an idea. Never heard of that before but I think my Ouachita will have it done in black.
Is there any pre-treatment of the aluminum that should be done before hand? I know I have to sand off whatever these people used before I do it.
Any special brand recommended to do this? Inquiring minds want to know.

Don't do it. I just bought this 14' Lowe and will be taking it off fisrt thing. It is rough as a dried corn cob. The boat was actually stuck to the trailer because th bed liner softened and stuck to the trailer bunks. There are alot of good options for painting the bottom of your boat but this isn't one of them

Attachments

• 20150529_182606.jpg
    20150529_182606.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,342
MAJOR POINTS GIVEN!!

Do not do it! I just got my console, panels and some parts on the bottom of the boat, cleaned of that crap. It was a PITA to remove and took a lot of hours of labor. I used aircraft remover on the aluminium to help get the crap off, but it still required sanding. I used 3M's Paint and Rust Stripper pad mounted to my electric drill. It helped tremendously.

Good luck, its going to take some time.

It's a MAJOR PITA to remove the stuff if you ever have to.

I recently re-did the bottom of my boat, had to use chemical stripper mixed with lacquer thinner to get the stuff off. And even then it still took 5 gallons of the stuff.

Mine was done when I got it and I agree don't do it. I didn't remove it yet but I don't see why it was done.... It's ugly. I painted mine grey but the texture is ugly on a boat. I'd get steel flex or gluvit if I was going to do anything. Honestly it's not that much more than what a quality Berliner costs

lugoismad said:
Abraham said:
Won't that make the boat slow? With all the drag and all...

Maybe it'll work like a golf balls surface and make it faster?

Sharkskin is probably a better example of the drag reduction you're referring to. I reality both golf balls and sharkskin have very precise texturing to achieve this drag reduction.

Golf ball and soccer ball designers have various precise depths and patterns of dimples and sewn panels that are designed to fly further/straighter etc based on how they deal with turbulence created as they push through the air. Just as competition swimsuit designers do. The "mini" vortices created by this turbulence acts like little ball bearings between the ball surface, or sharks skin and the surrounding air/water.

Bedliner is very rough (in most cases) and completely random in pattern. Thus it fights against itself resulting in increased turbulence and subsequently increased drag. Not to mention the extra weight (9 pounds per gallon) added to the hull.

Then again, getting it on and off a trailer would be a bear!

Attachments

• golf_ball_dynamic.jpg
    golf_ball_dynamic.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,171
I used the rustoleum brand on the bottom of my lowe 1648 and love it. I flounder gig and gather oysters with my boat and the bedliner protects the bottom from oyster shell rocks,etc. I agree that it could cause drag and slow it down but I used a brush and it turned out slick not like the truck bed roughness. my boat with a 15hp yamaha with a 9.26X12 prop runs around 20 miles per hour and It was only for protection not to seal anything.

Latest posts