New Video

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny.barile

Reaction score
I took the boat out on the river today. The 15 hp yam really makes it scoot pretty good.

https://vid1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/aae0130/TinBoat/IMG_0318_zpsdk3ciqmm.mp4

The river in question moves pretty fast. It can be real sloppy at times with a full moon and wind against tide. This was just the typical current and some wind in the same direction. When I fish the fall run in November forget about it. i take a beating. It could be freezing temperatures with fast rollers and wind against tide scenarios.

Because the water is moving it can be deceiving as to how fast you are going. The last time I clocked myself with an etrex gps I was hitting 28mph.

Not sure if that is fast or not for a 4-stroke 15 hp. The boat weighs about 150 lbs. The outboard is about 115 lbs. I have a 16lb. anchor and a 50lb. battery. I believe the TM is about 16 lbs. I am 190 lbs. I had about 4 gallons of gas in the boat so that is 32 lbs. Maybe 30 lbs of other stuff.

So that is about 600 lbs. give or take. Do you think 28 mph is acceptable for 15 hp with that load?

No feedback? Im looking for some opinions because although it seems kinda fast enough Im wondering if I should be looking to squeeze a little more out. Maybe lower the pitch a tiny bit? If it looks like it is running about where it should I will just leave it alone.

I think Im finally starting to understand why guys put a 200 hp on a 17 ft. bass boat. :twisted:

28 mph is about what you'd expect out of a 25 hp. So yes, that's excellent. I had the same motor and after all the prop and setup changes I made to optimize it, I saw 24.2 mph on still water. The current and which direction you're going on that current can make a huge difference. My 25hp motor runs 29 mph on still water. One river can sometimes see a 7-9 mph current, and with the GPS, I saw 38.3 mph going down river last time I looked at the GPS. But going back up river, was only about 20.

Thanks Turbo

I was running with the tidal current. Going the other way I can still squeeze out about 25. So I guess I should leave it alone. This boat has a different bottom design than most of the other aluminums I see. I think it may be helping with speed. Im a bit of a yahoo so I do wish it was just a little faster but I also don't want to end up in the hospital everytime I go fishing. :LOL2:

Latest posts