need ideas for "on-board" rod storage in my 2002 Lund

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancocasrich

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2002 Lund 1650 Rebel SS. My friend who sold it to me usually fished alone and never installed any on-deck rod holders. There is plenty of rod storage in one of the boxes. I am planning to install one "rocket launcher" on the side of the console and it holds 3 rods. I would like to have holders for an additional 3 rods. Can anyone suggest how/where to install additional holders? Can anyone post photos of their boat to show how this works?

Attachments

• IMG_1709.JPG
    IMG_1709.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,327
  • IMG_1710.JPG
    IMG_1710.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 1,326
Will be following this one. I too need some ideas on rod holders. Sweet looking rig btw :beer:

I'd start on the side of the console and on the front of the console. Another option would be just aft of the drivers seat just far enough it's not in your way, although that may interfere with the fishabilty. Another option is in front of the motor if there is a place but that can get in the way too.

Not a great picture, but my Polar Kraft, which has a very similar layout as your Lund had Rod Savers mounted on the port rod locker lid from the factory. Worked well for me.

Attachments

• Rod Saver.jpg
    Rod Saver.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,222
Like GillHunter, my bro added horizontal Velcro-straps for storage on the top surface of the side lengthwise boxes to hold rigged rods ready, secure, but down and out of the way. I'll be adding some too.

But I also fish saltwater estuaries where sometimes the mode of fishing is the 'run&gun' method, where we'll literally chase birds over schooling fish & prey or zoom/cruise well out in front of them. For that need, I like vertical storage off the console as FishforSupper suggested.

On many a boat I've rigged a 3-4 tube vertical rod rack off the splash well or back of the rear seat, but yeah ... they can be in the way when you need to refuel or get to the motor. Or cast from back there. So I guess for me it is clear - vertical storage for ready/instant use and horizontal storage for out-of-the-way, but rigged & available for use usage.

Like you said, the side of the console is your best bet.

If you build the holders yourself, you can squeeze 4 and maybe 5 holders on there instead of 3.

Here is a pic of one of my old boats with "rocket launchers" around the console. You can see how much wasted space there is between tubes.

As a note, it really wasn't a problem looking through the rods.

IMG_0603.JPG

Folk, Thanks for this useful info. I am still considering this challenge and will post what I finally decide.

I have a Rod Saver for storage. I made the aluminum plates to mount them under the gunwale.

IMG_0219_zpsdkasydma.jpg

For rod holders while fishing I put in Scotty flush mounts and then have single rocket launchers from Cabela's mounted to the back deck. They work well for trolling or to temporarily store rods, but not a great location for "storage" because they get in the way while actively fishing.

IMG_0220_zpsuwbovnvf.jpg

Latest posts