Console steer on 14' jon boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter1661

Reaction score
Anyone on here run a console in a 1440 or 1448 Jon boat? How is it? I am looking at a nice 35 up johnson at an awesome price with all controls and steering console. Does it get a little cramped for floor space? Also, with two people sitting rearward are there issues with water coming over he rear?

I just put a side console in my 1436 - I already had it configured to be sitting two side-by-side slightly forward of the rear bench (see my thread link in signature for pics) with a 20hp outboard that I've used with a tiller up until now and I don't take water over the back end, but I have a heavy trolling motor up front and batteries in the middle bench so there is a lot of weight working to level the boat out once i come off plane.

Of course it gets cramped for floor space :) But with the console my kids and nieces and nephew can take turns driving the boat like I did with my grandfather's ski boat as a kid so I got over the lack of space...I stuff my gigantic tackle bag under there, so it's really not taking up any more floorspace than my bag would have anyway.

Gives me a place to mount my collapsible cup holders too

Are you talking center console or side console? The wider the better if you're thinking center console. My 1652 seems to be ok with the Lowe center console (19" wide I think) so with a 1448 you would probably ok as well. Here's a picture just to get a sense of the space available.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_4.jpg
    Lowe_1652_4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 788
Thank you for your input guys. I decided not to go with the 35 console. On my way now to pickup an 88 johnson 25 tiller.
Reason 1: boat is only rated for 25, figured I would keep it legal.
2: ease of switching back to my 15 hp tiller.
3: the motor was an 84, so prop rated ho realistically was about 30. I figured the added weight of the console and controls would out weigh the extra 5 hp at the prop.

As far as I know the 88 Johnson is 25 prop rated go.

Latest posts