seat relocate

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boaterjoe

Reaction score
I want to take out the middle bench of my 14 foot flat bottom and move it along the side. I am using it both for fishing and duck hunting.
I wanted to have a bench along the side and open up the middle. By taking out the bench and re-attaching it along the side, will this still give the strength? Or will I still need to add some support.

thanks
Joe

I removed my seat and built a mini deck up front. I haven't had an issue with strength yet! Check out my build to see pictures of the seat delete.

IMO, it has a lot to do with how the boat is setup. If the support ribs that run up the gunwale are evenly spaced and one is not skipped because of the bench, it should be OK. If one of those supports is skipped because of a bench seat then the bench seat is providing a lot more structural support, if that makes sense. I completely removed my middle bench seat without issues. I also added an aluminum floor and extended my bow deck by about 18". I'm sure the floor and extended deck helped strenghten things up though.

Here is mine right after removing the middle bench. You can see where it was by the staining. You can also see that my ribs are evenly spaced the length of the boat. Some jon boats skip a rib/support where the bench seat is.

IMAG0747_zps8000adb2.jpg

IMAG0748_zps42425e8a.jpg

Latest posts