Minimum Width for a 14' Flat bottom Jon Boat? (bass boat)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Heath

Reaction score
Ive found a 14' flat bottom aluminum Jon Boat and would love to convert it to have a casting deck and full chairs with trolling motor up front like others in the conversion forum but I don't know where to begin. I fished out of a friends 14' flatbottom last week and I swear its more unsteady then my coleman crawdad! I know that there are different widths at the bottoms of these boats. Does anyone know a minimum width to look for? 36? 48?

I plan on using my trailer from my crawdad.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Go bigger than your friends - and look for something bigger than 14' if his is wider than 48". Everyone's comfort level is different on small boats. I've been on them since I was a toddler, some of my friends who are much smaller than me had never been on one and found a 18' fiberglass boat to be unstable to them - I'm 6'3 & ~230lbs & I've got a 1436 that I'm plenty happy with (though I wish I had the space to store rods horizontally)...all personal preference.

Had a 1436 and it was very unstable. Will never consider another. It was too dangerous once loaded with my wife and daughter.

Upgraded to a G3 1448PF and its very stable with family and gear.

Go 48"

Another here that would go with the 48" bottom on a 14' jon, much more stable.
I have a 16' with a 54" bottom that is as stable as almost anyone could want.

Latest posts