carpeting help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmyers14

Reaction score
So I haven't started my build yet. I have my boat that I got free at my grandmas house. It's at my farm currently. I'm gonna convert it to a bass boat. It's a 12 foot Jon boat flat bottom. So far I'm thinking a front deck with a small hatch for storage. I'll have a trolling motor on back and put a live well either in the storage spot in front or somewhere else. It will just be a cooler and aerator type. So carpet the big question. I want to cover the floor and the front desk. My questions are how much is this carpet. Where do I get it. And how do I install the carpet on everything? Thanks for the help. And btw little introduction I'm 14 live in nc and am new to the forum. Was reffered here from a member on nc hunt and fish forum! All help is appreciated for whole build and carpet

You can also look for marine carpet. It's not really so expensive unless you get it from a place like Cabela's. Usually marine carpet dealers will have half a dozen or more colors to choose from. I've used contact cement to glue carpet to wood and metal and it's been fine. Remember if you use contact cement to have a well ventilated area, preferably outside. You're young and don't want to lose too many brain cells - don't wanna end up like me! Many recommend to use the boat a while first to see how it works and what you need to make it work for you. And like B Johnny says, one thing at a time. Plan out what you want and take it a step at a time. Easier on the head bone and the pocket book. Lots of good people here more than willing to answer your questions so don't be afraid to ask.

I'm new to the forum as well, but my one piece of advice would be to glue the carpet to some plywood laid in the boat. You definitely don't want to bond the carpet to the aluminum in the boat or it is a pain to replace years down the road.