"Previous Owners" Suck.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBRMINER

Reaction score
so at the rear weld along the bottom of the boat there was Fiberglass, Silicone, you name it spread all over the seam. well, im a big "if it ain't broke don't fix it" person so I've used it as is for 4 years. I pressure washed and leak tested it this week (the Interior paint I applied 4 years ago to "pretty it up" needs to be redone) and I found a drip so I took a wire wheel to that crap and found the smallest little crack. I kept going with the wire wheel and cleaned up that entire seam and leak tested again. one drip out of that crack no other leaks..... Ugh. why do people do that stuff? No aluminum welders local so I'm going to 5200 the seam and be back in business.... I doubt the original owner ever found that crack he must have just had a leak and did it all or did that mess for Preventive maintenance in his eyes or whatever... I swear the amount of roofing tar, RTV, and fiberglass he used on it would have bought a few tubes of 5200 and it would have been a decent repair and not a hack job...

local shop only had the standard 5200 in stock... was hoping for the fast cure, so It'll be down for a week or so while it cures but at least it should be done right.

Years from now your going to sell this boat and the next owner is going to find the 5200 and say why didn't the previous owner have this crack welded.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Years from now your going to sell this boat and the next owner is going to find the 5200 and say why didn't the previous owner have this crack welded.

Oh the irony! :LOL2:

lckstckn2smknbrls said:

Was my thought too but I did not want to start no ****. Just about all of us are "previous owners", by the way. The truth is that 5200 works so why not use it on a tiny leak.
Tim

I would have Preferred Welding but as I stated, NO ONE WELDS ALUMINUM IN MY AREA. Period. I found one shop within 2 hours drive that does but they wouldn't work on a 40 year old boat. any further than that, it wouldn't be worth it. (time, gas, the cost of the repair) this isn't a 2000 model or anything. Its worth essentially scrap price. I'm actively looking for a nicer newer 14' hull, however I have no worries using this one until the exact one I find becomes available. 5200 is a Marine sealant. and the crack is smaller than the hole made by a transducer screw that many people use 5200 on. I fail to see where using a Marine sealant over a verified crack is the same as slathering Silicone and fiberglass, painting over it and saying "no Leaks" when sold.....

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
PBRMINER.
Just pulling your leg.

I spent many hrs scraping glue out of the bottom of my boat when I got it. Where someone had glued down carpet sometime or another. Looked like hell. No idea why it would have needed glue to stay in place anyway.

Hope none ever wants to go back to bench seating in mine. Or they will be trying to figure out how to fill the 2 inch holes I drilled in the seats for the pedestal bases. :mrgreen:

I LOVE this thread!

I'm always telling people to "get it welded" "do it right the first time" "don't cheap out"

Blah blah blah

But the transom on my own boat has so much 5200 dabbed on it looks like it's got the measles. It doesn't leak though :wink:

Latest posts