aluminum floored deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Clark

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum, and new to jon boats. I have a 14' Alumacraft that i plan on decking the front of to fish off of. Ive seen some builds on here using aluminum framing to keep the weight down, and thats the way i plan on going about to frame it, ive got a source of free 1.5" square tube where i work. I really dont want to deal with the problems that go along with wood decking and carpeting. I can probably get a sheet of 1/8" thick aluminum plate for the deck, but being as how i'm sure that it will not only be slick as goose poop, but get hot as well, what have any of you that have done this painted/coated it with?

I don't have any experience with the stuff, but I plan on using Hydroturf for my next jon boat flooring/decking.

you can glue just about anything to aluminum. Don't over think it !!!
A latex adhesive specified for "exterior use" is what I would use in my world.
My preference would be a good coating of Rust-Oleum Latex Aluminum Primer first.
Then, any good exterior grade carpet or Hydroturf would work good.

and, :WELCOME: to Water World

I like to use a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet cut to fit and attached just barely using some velcro.

That way you can pull the carpet out easily for cleaning, long term storing, or replacement. And you don't have to deal with paint or adhesive.

I don’t know what the stuff is called but a lot of air boaters in my area use this vinyl stuff that you glue down, it has a non-slip texture to it and washes off easily. you could also use a roll on bed liner I believe you can get that stuff in different colors now.

I'm planning to replace my carpet with Nautolex. Do a search for it in the builds. It's a non-slip vinyl made for marine flooring.

I painted my entire boat with Parkers Duck Boat Paint. Then used a product called Asper Grit as anti-skid for my aluminum floor and deck. Has worked GREAT. It can be mixed with paint or broadcasted on between coats. I used the broadcast method. It's nice and grippy even below freezing, which is nice during hunting season when moving around the boat with waders on. Very durable as well. For the paint I went with Parkers sand tan color. I can go barefoot in the summer and it doesn't get hot at all.

https://www.softsandrubber.com/aspergrit.html

Here it is on my boat.
IMAG0940_zps5390747f.jpg

IMAG0939_zpsf9621925.jpg

thanks for all the replies, guys. i really like the PW flooring idea. Will check in to that when the time comes.

I've seen some boats in my area that used aluminum check plate for decking. Use that, along with some of the other "non-skid" coating suggestions?

BigTerp said:
I painted my entire boat with Parkers Duck Boat Paint. Then used a product called Asper Grit as anti-skid for my aluminum floor and deck. Has worked GREAT. It can be mixed with paint or broadcasted on between coats. I used the broadcast method. It's nice and grippy even below freezing, which is nice during hunting season when moving around the boat with waders on. Very durable as well. For the paint I went with Parkers sand tan color. I can go barefoot in the summer and it doesn't get hot at all.

https://www.softsandrubber.com/aspergrit.html

Here it is on my boat.
IMAG0940_zps5390747f.jpg

IMAG0939_zpsf9621925.jpg

I really like the way you finish the floor and interested in the Asper Girt would like to know how much did you use to cover the deck and the floor on your project?

Thank you

That grit nonskid just tears stuff up. That's the reason I don't like it. Don't lay anything on it that you don't want scratched all to hell. Especially fishing reels.

spcamno said:
I really like the way you finish the floor and interested in the Asper Girt would like to know how much did you use to cover the deck and the floor on your project?

Thank you

I used about 1/2 of the quart sifter bottle they sell to do the entire floor and deck of my 1648MV. I went pretty heavy with it as well. I sprinkled it on in between coats of paint. Has held up well with the abuse I put my boat through. I haven't noticed it dinging up my fishing rods or anything else, but I'd imagine it easily could, especially if you drag your stuff across it. It has a fairly aggressive grip. Which is the whole point of it for me. My boat gets used all fall/winter duck hunting and it really helps to keep guys from slipping with heavy wet waders on.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
That grit nonskid just tears stuff up. That's the reason I don't like it. Don't lay anything on it that you don't want scratched all to hell. Especially fishing reels.

Thanks for your suggestion and yes I agreed as I have seen similar finish on the latest Tracker Grizzly and it can possibly scratch up fishing reels and stuff.

BigTerp said:
spcamno said:

Thank you

I used about 1/2 of the quart sifter bottle they sell to do the entire floor and deck of my 1648MV. I went pretty heavy with it as well. I sprinkled it on in between coats of paint. Has held up well with the abuse I put my boat through. I haven't noticed it dinging up my fishing rods or anything else, but I'd imagine it easily could, especially if you drag your stuff across it. It has a fairly aggressive grip. Which is the whole point of it for me. My boat gets used all fall/winter duck hunting and it really helps to keep guys from slipping with heavy wet waders on.

Thanks for your prompt reply and insight.

To each of their own I found your type of finish is exactly I am looking for as this boat will be use mainly for waterfowl hunting and I have chased divers till the last day of the season in January under sub-zero temperature and really need the grip.

I was worry a bit at the beginning about scuffing up neoprene chest waders and my gear etc but guess that will be a trade off if I want some traction when wet or icy condition.

spcamno said:
Thanks for your prompt reply and insight.

To each of their own I found your type of finish is exactly I am looking for as this boat will be use mainly for waterfowl hunting and I have chased divers till the last day of the season in January under sub-zero temperature and really need the grip.

I was worry a bit at the beginning about scuffing up neoprene chest waders and my gear etc but guess that will be a trade off if I want some traction when wet or icy condition.

It works really well for preventing slipping with wet/muddy waders on. I don't hunt out of my boat, but use it to get to our spots on the river. So a lot of in and out of the boat. It hasn't bothered our hunting gear or waders one bit. But most waterfowl gear is made pretty tough. I use my blind bag for my fishing bag in the summer, so it's in the boat a lot getting thrown/dragged around all year. No issues so far with that or other hunting gear getting beat up. Now, I wouldn't lay your gun on it for fear of scratching it up. If we are float hunting or something guns lay on their soft cases.

As far as ice goes, it won't do any better than anything else once you get a buildup of ice on the floor. Late season we tend to get some buildup on the floor from hoping in and out of the boat and it does get slick. Not sure anything else would do any better though.

Latest posts