Sea Nymph 14R drain plug question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pymybob

Reaction score
So I've been fishing in my 14R trying to get the feel for it and everything is perfect so far, with one exception. I have a very slow leak from my drain plug.

The drain plug hole in the boat seems smooth, without any dents or imperfections in the aluminum that I can tell. I've tried two different 1" drain plugs so far and it still leaks. Not sure if I'm tightening it enough or not enough. I swear I've twisted it at least 10 -12 times to tighten it and she does not budge but she still has a slow leak. Then my OCD kicks in and it drives me crazy! LOL! I just want to fix it.

Not sure if I should try a 1 1/4" larger plug or do something else to the plugs I have that I may be missing. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.

Tighten it till there's resistance against it when you flip the lever down. If it's the screw in type I'd assume until it gets stiffer to turn.
My hole isn't perfectly round so I wiped vasalean ( sp? Protroliem jelly ) on the rubber. Keeps the water out. It might cause a reaction. To the rubber over time. But heck there cheap enough.

I've turned mine so many times.
I have to turn mine back out about six turns before it will evem come out.

I had the same issue with the turn screw type tried the snap type and the problem was solved. Not saying that one type of plug is better than the other, I just think this one fit my drain better.

I'll try the vaseline and see if that helps. Just need to find the right plug for mine! Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, an attwood drain plug and a bit of Vaseline did the trick! Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I've used vaseline on the rubber on my compound bows over the years and have never had any issue with a reaction or anything. I use it to keep the rubber conditioned and from dry rotting. I'd also make sure it isn't leaking from the outside of the assembly rather than the rubber seal. If that's leaking, 5200 should do the trick real quick.

Latest posts