A serious decking question?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stapleface

Reaction score
Do you think there would be a market for a bolt-in/ rivet in/ weld in/ aluminum deck frames?

Would have to be extremely cost effective.... I did my for less than $10 and it's solid as a rock. For $10 I'll replace it every couple years if needed

StapleFace - - - these are already being used by thousands of boaters already.
it is called "aluminum angle" and "aluminum square tubing", cut to fit.
If you read through these forums, there are no two boats constructed alike.

I admire your entrepreneurial spirit, but, you would have to come to the table with
DRAWINGS, SCHEMATICS and BLUEPRINTS of what you have in mind so that we all
will fully understand what you are trying to sell. Not just by asking a generic question.
If you Google up " EXTRUDED ALUMINUM ", you may find a company that has already
made an extrusion that may fit your vision. Then, you can buy it from them, put your name
on it, and sell it as " Ready to Install Deck Frame Braces ".

and yes, I would buy it. IF it is cheaper than the regular aluminum angle
and aluminum tubing that I can buy at my metal supply house.

and :WELCOME: to Water World

I bent my own aluminum angle when I added decking & storage lids. I used .052 aluminum. It's strong enough and weighs less than the common 1/8" thick angle you can buy.

My $0.02:
Cost per sheet =$XX.XX. pieces made + manhours = $XX.XX. Hard to compete in the market unless you already have a metal forming company and suppliers.

Thanks for the responses gents :beer: Yes i understand it is a bit generic of a question, i apologize. I am a machinist/millwright/fabricator at a shop in RI that has been in business for 75 years this year. So in response, yes diagrams and blueprints would be provided before i jump in the water. I have lurked and read this forum for a few years now and have learned a lot of good info. I was just trying to drum up some business for the shop

If the price is right I think it would be a great idea.

I would imagine there is a large portion that would like to save time and just pick from a generic decking selection.

I think on this website though you are going to find most owners like to do their own work otherwise they probably wouldn't be visiting this site but I could be wrong.

I think that there is a market for almost anything that you can attach to a boat.

Back when I worked, I wanted to do a number of projects. However, I made more money going to work (commission sales) than I could have made by staying home a day and doing some boat add-on.

So, if you can produce it and SHIP it (big issue these days) for a reasonable price, someone will buy it.

As was mentioned above, though, lots of the guys/gals on this site are inveterate do-it-yourselfers. richg99

p.s. I noticed a few posts above, someone has an extra aluminum seat, that would fit almost any boat. There were a number of quick interested parties for that object.

I wonder if you could produce a similar sized seat, with or without the cushions, for a price that would bring the buyers out? AND, can you advertise it here or elsewhere so people can find out about it? AS you know, everything costs $$$$

Might be a trial project.

As a general rule, guys who buy beat up old tin boats and fix them up themselves are cheaper than dirt. It's highly unlikely that you would sell too many mail-order deck parts.

HOWEVER, if you are looking to drum up business ... advertising your shop's ability to do boat-related work might get you a bunch of local customers.

If you can do small scale aluminum welding jobs, you'd have guys lining up to get cracks fixed, transoms replaced, trolling motor brackets installed, decks welded down, flotation boxes added etc etc etc.

Latest posts