Painting my grab rail black

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shugster2

Reaction score
Guys, I'm wanting to coat my stainless grab rail and make it black. Any ideas for a DIY method that looks good?

From what I have just read on the net about primers,
"some" self etching primers create a good bond on stainless for the topcoat.
why do you want to paint it ??
if it is to lessen the glare of lights used at night,
I would suggest the Rust-Oleum flat black or Truck Bed Liner over the self etch primer.
If painting is not in your plan, use black tape of your choice.

Self Etching Primer: Adheres well to bare steel, aluminum, stainless steel,
and galvanized steel and is compatible with virtually any paint or finish that is
applied over it. A self-etching formula bonds better to bare metals than other
primers. It is also a single stage formula which requires no catalyst.
Use an aggressive solvent such as acetone, xylene, naphtha, etc. to remove any
traces of contaminants such as salt, oil, grease, etc. prior to application.
Read, understand and follow the directions on the label of the products you use.
Note: Self Etching Primer should not be used over a previously painted
surface or lifting may occur.

Thanks for the info BJ.....I just like the blacked out look of the grab rail. I think I'll give your method a try. Again, thanks!

On my jeep I used Rustoleum truck bedliner on all my tube and chrome parts. It gives a nice not to extreme grip and looks great. I did mine a few years ago and beat on them and they are still holding up.

If the rails can be easily removed, you could get them powder-coated. That would look great.

Rustoleum sprayed over a good self-etching primer would work nicely, as was mentioned.

If you use bed liner, just be sure and scuff up the rails really really well, paying special attention to all the bends and connections .... that stuff doesn't stick well to shiny smooth surfaces. And if it starts to peel in one spot, it just gets worse and worse.

Latest posts