Dumb newbie question: how big water is too big for a 14' v?

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
bonz_d

Post by bonz_d »

A number of years ago a friend and I were at the Kenosha harbor on Lake Michigan, wind was steady at 25mhp with gusts to 35mph and there were rollers on the lake outside the harbor. Guy showed up with what looked like a 40' offshore racer with 3 big engines. They got unloaded and motored out and took off once cleared of the harbor. Folks, they were back in the harbor 20 minutes later.

So whatever that's worth.
1988 Alumacraft Classic 16, 50hp Johnson on a Shoreland'r trailer.
1984 Sea Nymph Pike Attacker, 30hp Johnson on old Gator tilt trailer

Shoedawg

Post by Shoedawg »

I remember a trip back in the 90’s on Lake Powell, where I was on a 1960’s something 15ft boat, when a fast moving storm came through and we hit waves at 3 feet. The boat was open bow. We made it through the storm, with the driver doing an excellent job of guiding through the chop. But it did get hairy.

My step-uncle was on the same trip, and had a brand new Bayliner, 20ft, 150HP, the works. We was a rich man, who had the best sh*t, and knew it all and had more experience than you. Well, his boat got swamped and we found him on some rocky island, in the water holding his boat, while the waves were pounding and tossing his new boat onto the rocks. The boat was full of water and the bilge was working overtime. I was glad he was safe, but found it kind of funny that a 40 year old boat and smaller, kicked ass, while his brand new top of the line was roughed up. Experience does count for something.
Project: Shoebox - 1746 Fisher (Remod)
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33272

How to Smell Like a REAL MAN.
Combine: fuel, wood, grease, dirt, metal, BBQ, yard, coffee, tobacco juice, & beer.
Mix well. Apply to Sweaty Chest Hair using a Flannel Cloth.

"Work Harder and Smarter" - Mike Rowe

Gotem

Post by Gotem »

I have two boats and fish Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes. My 18 foot Lund fish/ski boat is a beast, but I don't take it out on lake Ontario if the waves are over 2 feet. My smaller aluminum boat I use to trailer to the Finger Lakes and it is a blast. I will take the smaller one out on Lake Ontario right after ice out for the brown trout fishing if it is a south wind. The advantage of a smaller boat is a lot of the launches are not in right after ice out, but with waders you can launch it any time.

agcowvet

Post by agcowvet »

Thanks all for the info. Gotem: how big is your small boat, and how do you get it to the water off the trailer?