River Fishers - I Need Your Opinion

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
Frank R

Post by Frank R »

I am outfitting my 14 foot Tracker Tadpole for river fishing. I took it out for the first time this season last week and it seemed like it needed trim tabs because the bow was too high as I accelerated.

Now I know most trim tabs are much smaller but I came across this picture while searching and I had an idea: what if I used a similar trim tab but modified the rods so the big tab can be moved to a 45 degree upright position. That way, after motoring upriver with the trim tab down, I could reach back and raise it up and then it would be useful for deflecting submerged tree branches. Like the way a drift boat has forward rocker. It could prevent a sudden stop on an otherwise immovable object.
Attachments
IMG_6150.jpg

Ictalurus

Post by Ictalurus »

I'd try moving some weight around on your boat first.

xXOnyxXx

Post by xXOnyxXx »

try using the trim on your motor and tuck it " closest position to the transom" .... shift your load around .... but remember when you accelerate your boat the bow will rise, once you're planing it will flatten out and this is what you're after.
2014 Tracker 1436 w/ evinrude 9.9
2015 Lowe L1648MT w/ mariner 25
1982 Mariner 4hp

JL8Jeff

Post by JL8Jeff »

You might need transom wedges to get the motor tucked in further but the fins that you put on the motor itself would probably be a better solution to help keep the nose down. I don't think you want a full width trim plate on the back of your boat. Those are usually used with race boats like the one you pictured.
2001 Lowe Roughneck 1652 VT with Merc 60/45 jet 2 stroke

Frank R

Post by Frank R »

xXOnyxXx wrote:try using the trim on your motor and tuck it " closest position to the transom"
I have the motor in this position.
xXOnyxXx wrote:.... but remember when you accelerate your boat the bow will rise, once you're planing it will flatten out and this is what you're after.
The problem is that I cannot go fast enough in the river to plane out. It would be too dangerous if I hit something submerged. So I throttle down and have tried standing using a tiller extension. This helps two ways: it puts my load in the middle of the boat and it has me standing up where I can get a better view ahead.

I am thinking of building a console because I am not thrilled with the tiller extension.

Frank R

Post by Frank R »

JL8Jeff wrote:You might need transom wedges to get the motor tucked in further
I had not considered this. A quick search has shown conflicting opinions on their usefulness. I will have to read more.
JL8Jeff wrote:the fins that you put on the motor itself would probably be a better solution to help keep the nose down.
I am reluctant to use a fin because of the possibility of breakage to my engine.

xXOnyxXx

Post by xXOnyxXx »

i run a river that is full of logs and stumps .. i see your point totally ... i guess its a roll of the dice, i usually run at the point it will just stay on plane. i bump over stuff all the time but your going slow and the bumps/hits aren't hard, i've jumped plenty of logs and never busted a lower end. but i've seen goofballs hit stuff wide open and bounce the motor off the boat, no saftey cable LOL.
2014 Tracker 1436 w/ evinrude 9.9
2015 Lowe L1648MT w/ mariner 25
1982 Mariner 4hp

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon »

If you are close to planing out, just goose it for a few seconds to bring the bow down and then cut back on the throttle. The boat should stay on plane.

Using a big trim tab mounted to the boat itself would help keep the bow down, but it would also create a ton of drag .... you'd feel like you are dragging a drift sock behind you.
Pics and videos of my past fishing trips: https://www.tinboattravels.com

Frank R

Post by Frank R »

xXOnyxXx wrote: no saftey cable LOL.
Yeah, I have to add that to the list of things to add to the boat. I just added a lock bolt, do I still need the cable?

Frank R

Post by Frank R »

MrSimon wrote: Using a big trim tab
I was thinking of using a full width tab but one that was not so deep. Need to dramatically reduce the surface area. I see your point.

Frank R

Post by Frank R »

xXOnyxXx wrote:i run a river that is full of logs and stumps
What do you use for a prop guard?

JL8Jeff

Post by JL8Jeff »

The fins are plastic so if they hit something it would probably just snap the fin. But if the fin is going to hit something, so is the lower end and you're in trouble at that point. I had a 90 hp Mercury on a 17' Wahoo and it had the fins and ran fine. I removed the fins and the boat would porpoise at anything past half throttle so I had to put them back on. The fins or wedges are probably your least expensive starting point.

I added the transom wedges to my jet and it made a difference in the bow position and porpoising so they do work in some situations, you would need to try them out to see if they work for your setup.
2001 Lowe Roughneck 1652 VT with Merc 60/45 jet 2 stroke

overboard

Post by overboard »

I'm with the others.
Move weight around, make sure motor is in the lowest position, and maybe a dole fin. If you hit that fin, you will already have hit with the lower unit.

Frank R

Post by Frank R »

I read somewhere that a guy was taking off his outboard, lost control of it, and the fin contacted the ground or boat, and broke the aluminum fin on the motor.

sonny.barile

Post by sonny.barile »

Not sure of the brand but there is a motor fin on the market that doesn't screw into the motor. It snaps on like a sandwich so you don't have to drill the cavitation plate. If you hit something with that it would probably unsnap as opposed to putting all the torque on your motor.