Camo Boat Wrap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXOnyxXx

Reaction score
i am sending my new Lowe back for warranty repaint .. when it comes back i am thinking about having a camo boat wrap installed. does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these? any help/info/pics is greatly appreciated!

xXOnyxXx

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Paint is better than a wrap in my opinion.
i totally agree .. but there isn't anyone in my area that can do a mossy oak or real tree camo paint .... so i'm looking into a wrap.

Get a stencil kit and do it yourself. See a lot of good DIY camo jobs. If you're looking for photo-realism, wrap or a professional paint job.

Check out Styx River stencils.
https://www.styx-river.com/camo_guide/

xXOnyxXx said:
RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Paint is better than a wrap in my opinion.
i totally agree .. but there isn't anyone in my area that can do a mossy oak or real tree camo paint .... so i'm looking into a wrap.

I think there are kits you can buy to get either of those patterns, or something close to it maybe?

Are you hunting out of your boat? If so, IMO, those fancy detailed camo patterns look like a giant blob of dark from a distance (birds). Up close they look great though. I was going to do one of the commercial kits until I saw a few of them in person. I just tried to match the shores and islands of the area I hunt. I used Parker's Duck Boat Paint in sand tan as my base and then stenciled on Rustoleum flat black and brown randomly over top. Blends in perfect when we tuck the boat next to shore while we hunt. Lighter base coat with darker top coats (stencils of your choice) create a shadow effect and break up outlines of the boat.

camo painted boats are over rated,They are hot in the summer and when hunting out of the boat must hunters use blinds that cover the boat.

I've had 2 boats with Camo-Clad wrap. The first one was done by the previous owner. If I recal, that pattern was MOBU. At the time I sold the boat it had been on for roughly 10 years. At that point it was fairly faded and had numerous areas where it was peeling and flaking off. Looked like crap up close. From a distance however it still was effective camo for hunting.

The next boat I applied the Camo-Clad myself in Max-4 HD. Material cost was around $400. To me, it was a time consuming, frustrating PIA process that I will never go thru again. After 4 years it had not really faded at all but it was also peeling off in many small chunks, especially all along the side ribs. It had 2 spots where I had lost pieces roughly 1' square. They were obvious from a distance of 100 yds.

Based hunting buddies comments and pictures they took of my boat set up hunting, it did blend extremely well and was very effective camo. Here's that boat:

100_1495.jpg

I did not put it on my current boat since my boat blind goes nearly down to the waterline and there isn't really any need to camo the hull. (Other than I do think it looks cool :wink: ). If I camo any boats in the future it will be strictly paint. My advice if you really want to do a clad, have a pro install it. Despite my taking a lot of time in prep and apply, it all ended up bubbling, cracking and peeling at all side ribs. I'm sure for much less money you could buy stencils and do a decent paint job yourself.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the replys .. i think i'll skip the camo wrap, camo paint might be a option after the paint get beat up

I removed a camo paint job from my boat. Underneath that paint was the old clad from the original color scheme. You can see it in my project link. I am on the fence about camoing out the boat, and just building a blind that reaches the water line. Jerseyjimk brings up a good point about the heat in the summer time and the use of blinds. But with a painted camo job, at least you can touch it up when it needs it.

Here is a video to make your own stencils:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyAot-kkZk4

Here is a Mossy Oak using graphics. Looks a lot harder to apply than paint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIpOc3R6ROg

And this video uses natural stencils, like leaves and twigs that can be found in the area you are going to hunt it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM-HpXXaslA

Latest posts