Flaring PVC to make rod holders...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
You've probably already seen this instruction on YouTube....but...for the newbies who are just doing their boats now....

You can make some nice looking PVC rod holders with nothing more than a length of 1 1/4 thin wall PVC (not schedule 40); a heat gun to warm the end of the PVC; a wine bottle (drink wine first); some kind of saw to cut the two slots ( I used a bench/table saw), and a small sanding drum to smooth up the edges.

regards, richg99

p.s. Acetone removes the black pvc writing easily, but watch out for the fumes. That stuff gave me splitting headaches for a week one time, when I used a lot of it on a wood finsihing project.

qS-thxzurgofSQx_m-1fG24cvocQU6Ick0unuAIYkIo=w690-h517-no

8fiX_4MUjhpEJ5IL5pvEoV8kXEdQbkH4BcjSc9GJprU=w388-h517-no

jbgyzGHI7LrxzCHNx-Z3h-iSgOTxYKNoXaQ3i3RqFTY=w690-h517-no

Very nice!!! I just rigged up two tubes from some scrap Sch.40 that ended up not coming out the way I wanted them to. That flare is a nice touch that really makes them look clean. Now if only I can get my wife to help me polish off a bottle, no wait, two, need two tubes :)

Two holders....Two bottles.....Hmmmm I like the way you think.

If this group was physically a little closer together, you'd have NO trouble getting someone to help you garner your quota of wine bottles, me thinks.

I've made rod holders out of schedule 40 PVC. I was never happy with the result either. The light-weight PVC, mostly used for sprinkler systems I think, mimics the rod holders that you buy in the boat stores.

Yes, I have another kayak en route to me. This little Summertime community has 11 lakes ( and 5 golf courses ). More than half of those lakes are tiny. Launching my 1648 tinny would be difficult on some of them.

All of the lakes are restricted to NO WAKE. So, a yak will allow me to fish more lakes easily. And, candidly, it is a lot easier to throw that 9 foot yak into the back of my van, drop it into the water, and recover, than it is to launch the "BIG" boat.

I have exactly the same yak in Houston. Mini-X's are small, but easy to transport and still hold my big butt up well enough to catch some fish. regards, richg99

Latest posts