Floor drains ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasaw

Reaction score
Hi,
New guy here in Central California. I recently bought a 2008 Crestliner FishHawk 1700. I like the boat a lot. This is my first "tin boat" so I'm unfamiliar with carpeting. I'd like to scrub the carpets down and hose them off. I don't see any floor drains. Is there some way the water seeps into the bilge or does it just pool at a low point and need to be sponged out?
Advise would be appreciated. These carpets are pretty dirty, even for a fishing boat.
Thanks!
Steve

:WELCOME: to the world of Tin Boating

you say this is your first Tin Boat ..... is it your first boat EVER ???
Is this your boat ?
Fish Hawk.jpg
They way you are explaining the drainage issue - is that you don't
know how to pull out the plug in the transom.
Just jack up the front end of the trailer and get your water hose and
start spraying away on the carpet, and see what happens.

Could you elaborate a bit more ? Maybe even a photo of your boat ?

Thanks for the quick response! The pictured boat is either identical or very similar to mine. Can't do pictures right now as I'm about 300 miles away from my boat (in San Diego)
This is not my first ever, I've had several fiberglass runabouts in the past. Those boat had visible drains from the inside deck area, either overboard or into the bilge. This is my first carpeted boat and not seeing any drains, I've been reluctant to hose down the interior and "soak" the carpet unless I have loads of time to dry it out. That's why I'm wondering if the water will drain into the bilge or just pool at the low end.
When I have some more time to spend with the boat, I can certainly just hose it down & see if drains, but I thought I'd ask and see if someone here knows.
Thanks!
Steve

I added 2 drains to the aft portion of my floor after installation. Water goes down the drains into the channels in the bottom of my hull and then back to the bilge. They also help keep any junk (leaves, twigs, duck feathers, etc.) from getting down into my hull channels and plugging them up. Easy installation and only a few bucks a piece. These are what I used. https://www.iboats.com/Seadog-Locker-Ventilator-Drain-Cover/dm/cart_id.052220716--session_id.278346459--view_id.39709

Here they are on my boat.
IMAG0942_zpsce74c1f7.jpg

IMAG0941_zpsa2989ceb.jpg

Thanx again, just ordered a pair. I'm having a horrible drainage issue myself, my attempt at running hosing under the deck was a fail. Too narrow a diameter clogs with debris way too easily.

I'm hoping to be able to clear out the channels of foam with a piece of threaded rod, the shop vac and some patience and be able to put the drains in once I'm done. Otherwise it means ripping out the middle deck and redoing it, which is probably going to happen anyway, I'd just like to not have to do it this year.

When installing the drains be sure to center them over your hull channels, obviously. Using a hole saw (I don't remember the size) drill through your floor and foam to find the channel directly underneath. Otherwise I don't think they will drain well.

As far as cleaning out plugged channels, do you have access to the inside bottom of your hull from the bow? I can get to mine through my bow deck hatch and under my bow deck. When I do any leak tests I run a hose from there. You could take a pressure washer from the bow and, hopefully, blow any debris back to the bilge.

Problem is I poured expanding foam underneath to support the floor and ran hosing through the drain channels thinking it would be enough to carry the water off the deck, but the diameter is too narrow and it keeps clogging with debris so I constantly have to hook it up to the air compressor and blow it all out. This is a nuisance now, but it won't be an option once I start leaving the boat tied to the mooring behind the house so I have to get it resolved.

Latest posts