Offset seat base plate ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggernot

Reaction score
My 03 G-3s 7x7" seat bases are shot, bronze bushings/baseplate have corroded. I'm thinking adding an offset base would work better, moving the seat backon the rear deck where the old, centered base is too close to the front edge of the deck/cockpit if you're seated facing the bow. I wonder if the stress of my fat butt (215) on the offset base would cause it to soon pull out?

I---------I
I . --- . I
I .---- . I
I . O . I
I --------I < offset type base i want to use, periods are the screw holes, post goes in the O

I weigh 225 lbs and I use an offset base on an offset post with no issues. It's nice to be able to swing the seat out of the way of the trolling motor when it's stowed in the front of my skinny little 1436.

Hard to see, but the post coming out of the seat base is closer to the front edge of the seat than center.

51z4AT9.jpg

Shouldn't be a problem. I'm 6'8" 270#'s and I use an offset base on the bow deck of my boat. I use a 13" pin mount pedestal all the time when fishing from the front and have even doubled up with a second pedestal to create a 26"makeshift butt seat. Now I did reinforce my base with 2 pieces of 1"x1" square tube. It had some flex to it prior to the reinforcement so I just wanted to be safe. Extremely sturdy now and I don't worry about ripping up my deck when using it. I'm probably even going to eventually add an offset pedestal to give me some more leg room up front.

IMG_20140504_122644_zpst82xsds8.jpg

This is how the square tube is oriented under the deck.
IMG_20140504_122659_zpsjv1mertr.jpg

Bigterp is showing the base I'm considering. I have no way to access under the deck for the added supports unless I cut holes in the bench/rear deck and it is also completely foam filled. From the replies, I think I'll just replace the centered 7x7 base and maybe get an offset post.

Latest posts