Finally Posting My Boat - 14' Smokercraft with custom deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwatters

Reaction score
I grew up around boats, but this is my first one of my own. Bought this boat about a year ago on a fully rusted trailer that barely made it home. Boat was in good shape for its age, so we slapped a 9.8 on it and called it good. Then I started reading this forum and doing my research and the addiction began. I soon realized some knucklehead rebuilt the transom with PT wood and put that on my to-do list. Soon, I bought a decent trailer - on older caulkins with only mild rust. Painted the seats, added a depth/fish finder, anchor, all the little necessities we needed for fishing. Caught Puget Sound crab and salmon all summer and fall in it - had a blast.

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_2372-2.jpg

Fast forward to this spring - I rebuilt the transom with good wood, resin, paint, and aluminum. It's now bulletproof for years to come.

Just finished the deck on it yesterday. Did the front first (bolted in with a hinged storage door in the center), then the middle section, which is removable since we use it for fishing most of the time. The deck is great for the dog and the lady when we just want to hang out on the lake. Added a quick-release seat up front.

IMG_6210.JPG

IMG_6254.JPG

We refurbed the trailer, too - sanded, primer, paint, new suspension, bearings, bearing buddies, new winch, lights, wiring, and hardware. Pretty much a new trailer!

IMG_5467.JPG

IMG_6020.JPG

IMG_6019.JPG

WHEW. I'm ready for a break and ready to get back out on the water and enjoy this thing! Took her out for a run today and it was great. Got our dog to hop in, too. She didn't want anything to do with the boat last year, I suspect because of the curved bottom and slick aluminum. She's part of the reason we built the deck. She jumped in immediately. Still getting used to the engine noise and motion, but she did pretty well out there.

Let me know what you think - love to hear any input or questions!

IMG_6332.JPG

Neat thinking on the removable piece. Gives you options. Did you mount any additional supports beneath that piece? And what was the thickness of the plywood? I like how you incorporated the edge of the front bench seat for support. Brilliant!

Thanks guys! I used 1/2" plywood (non-marine grade) for both deck sections. I painted the front section since it's more permanent and will be in the boat at all times, but didn't worry about painting the mid-section since it's removable.

For support I just made a frame underneath to brace against flex, but didn't attach it to any part of the boat, just made it so it fits snugly between the front and middle benches. The two ends of the mid deck rest on the front and middle benches and is prevented from sliding by being butted up against the braces on the middle bench. Photo below shows bracing: 2x4s run front to back and 2x2s in between the 2x4s. Now I need to move my cupholders.

In the last photo, I'm standing in the center between the benches with hardly any flexing at all. I weigh around 200.

IMG_6251.JPG

IMG_6250.JPG

IMG_6252.JPG

Heck yes and lookin good.
You might be giving me an idea for the front seat that needs replaced in the twelve footer....

Thanks all. She's not much, but she's a ton of fun and working on these things can get real addicting real fast.

Water Waif - post pics of whatever you do. Would love to see it!

Latest posts