Newbie - Steel on Aluminum Boat - Need advice please!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbosco

Reaction score
Heya Gentlemen! I've been trolling here for sometime as I bought an old 14" aluminum v-hull a couple of years ago to fix up with the intention of having a boat to go on the river to fish with my son. Well.... a few medical emergencies my wife had precluded being able to have the funds, but this year, I saved my taxes and my son is helping me restore it this summer.

The problem I am running into is that whoever had this boat before, put vertical steel braces at 3 different locations (each side) and didn't put any kind of protection for the aluminum. There is some rust... not tons, but I need to figure out a solution. The other problem is that a number of the aluminum bolts used to hold the original transom in place, snapped in half when sufficent torque was applied to remove them. I've looked high and low for matching aluminum bolts, but have been unable to find them, so I've had to resort to stainless steel.

My question is.... what can I used to protect the boat from the steel braces (2"x8") as well as the aluminum bolt holes that the stainless steel screws will be going through to hold the transom in place. I've heard tef-gel or lanolin might help protect the bolt holes from the stainless steel bolts. Any advice guys?

I've got and am using "Coat-it" for the birch transom expoy... and I've got some GE UV/H20 Proof silicon..... and I just picked up some 3M 5200 fast cure, but I'm wlling to get something else if you guys don't think any of those would make sufficient barriers between the steel and aluminum.

I'd really like to do thsi right so that the boat can be passed down to my son someday. We are having a lot of fun so far, but just want to get this right so I don't damage the boat!

Oh.... this will be used primarily in non-salt environment.

Thanks much guys... .and any help is greatly appreciated.

James

a hardy :WELCOME: to the Land of Tin !!

photos always helps us help you. Along with notes of what issues you want to address.
If the steel is a structural element, can it be replaced with an aluminum support ?
in MY world, I would stay far far away from any kind of silicone.
because - in MY opinion, it actually promotes corrosion, which becomes a bigger issue.

As the saying goes, opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one - and they are all different.
Just listen to any advice given and select the one that will fit your situation.

good luck and have fun with the boy !!!

I'd replace the steel braces with aluminum structural sections - maybe angles? That's what are used on mine.

My boat (circa 1982) is and has always been strictly salt water use. SS bolts fasten the transom plywood to aluminum skin. I did put silicone on the bolts to seal the holes through the plywood. Recently I put nylon washers under the bolt heads. Never any corrosion issues.

Mine was originally manufactured with carbon steel bolts on the transom. I did notice some corrosion under the bolt heads when I switched to SS.

Look at Tef Gel.

It looks expensive - but a small tube goes a long............ way.

It's a paste PET used on non-Al fastenings to aluminum in the aircraft industry.

It won't solve the problem of steel braces [which should be replaced w/ aluminum] but will protect against corrosion at fastenings

Latest posts