1981? Lund pike 18

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie67

Reaction score
20150620_191224.jpgHello all,
This is Dean from Sask.
I just got what I thought was a good deal on this boat.
Runs good but floor was completely destroyed, they did an overlay on original floor, poorly I might add.
I've removed side rod box and captains box.
My first question is, do I need to put these back on, as I would rather put telescoping casting seats, I was told I would be affecting the structural integrity.
This is the first of many questions.
Great site.
Thanks

Here's where I'm at now, pretty much all the foam was shot. Of to car wash then spray foam, leaving courses for water.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1434893692772.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434893692772.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,273
[/IMG]
Foam done, now to trim

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1435090691811.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1435090691811.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,236
Nice pictures.

You used "propa-vent" styrofoam soffit vents to maintain the limber hole drainage?

Before you sprayed the foam did you apply a release agent to the hull or do you want it to adhere?

Didn't see what the harm would be to adhere, got it all levelled now, time to start sheeting.

Saw the pics of what you did to your boat, awesome job, I just want mine better than it was, didn't cost me much and don't want to put much into it.

Sorry - I should have tried to answer your questions before I inserted my questions.

I don't know what you mean by "captain's box" It looks like the rod holder and all gunwhale diagonal braces provided structural support. You'll want to maintain them or compensate for them. The manufacturer probably didn't "over design" a production boat - right?

Do you have any more pictures of "before"?

What is the beam & capacity label?
What are you going to power it with?
What's your final floor plan look like?

I don't think an 18 footer will work well without lateral [side to side] support - and well fastened.

I haven't been to your neck of the world - closest was upper Peace River in Alberta bow hunting black bear.

It has 70hp Evin rude, I wanted 2 height adjustable seats on either side, middle and back, 1 casting deck up front. The drivers box was just a square box that the seat sat on. There are no diagonal supports on drivers side, so I thought they were maybe just support for lid on rod box.

Your 1st picture shows a deep lateral to the rear of the rod holder that's missing in foam pictures.

Be careful. 70 HP is a lot of torque and aluminum will not give much notice before it fails......

Just saying.

Newbie67 said:
The drivers box was just a square box that the seat sat on. There are no diagonal supports on drivers side, so I thought they were maybe just support for lid on rod box.
All Lunds would have had some diagonal brace and/or feature, like side storage boxes mounted to topsides AND floor, w/ the diagonal bracing to the top of the box to establish a rigid hull between sides of the boat and the floor. This is for lateral strength. Sounds like they were removed ...

This is to make the hull one integral/rigid piece. I once saw a 16' that had just 3 flat bench seats and the previous owner removed them for the 'open concept' ... and not 2-years later, the hull & gunnels 1/3rd back from the bow was now CRACKING, as it is where the stress formed from when hitting waves. As Skiffing says, those features are to strengthen the boat and if removed, should some how be replaced.

Aluminum boats are designed to spread the loaded stresses over as big a surface or area as possible, as each smaller section thereof cannot - by itself - withstand those forces!

Skiffing said:
Be careful. 70 HP is a lot of torque and aluminum will not give much notice before it fails...... Just saying.
No kidding ... I had their dbl-hulled, taller gunneled, heavier gauge plate Tyee 18' model, dual console ( so heavier bulkhead ing throughout) w/ a 90hp on her ... and she was a screamer ... would run mid 40s!

Got it figured I think, and still maintain the open effect, going to add another "starboard" station to port side. Plus put those angle brackets back in the stern end, hehe. Learning my boat terms.

Getting there

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1435325002794.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1435325002794.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 623
my bow deck will attach these together, should have my support problem solved.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1435349397662.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1435349397662.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 619
new livewell added.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1435407955557.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1435407955557.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 614

Latest posts