Sealing an old boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68merc

Reaction score
I pulled an 11' K Craft aluminum boat from a friends property. Last registered in 03. I'm only going to sell it but would like it to be water tight before I do. I've seen the spray cans of TV that seal anything. Can I use that kind of stuff to seal the boat? My thought is to spray the inside and then paint over that.
Here is one that I can think of:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-on-TV-Flex-Seal/20850472

I've never heard of the stuff but if it is really like "having a handyman in a can", what could be better. And it's better than having your handyman in the can because then you can't get any work out of him. :mrgreen: If you use it let us know because there are probably many here who would use it.

I sprayed flex seal over the seams and I haven't had a drop of water inside since. But it looks like *****. Maybe if you use it inside and then cover it with a floor. Honestly it seems like a cheap way of sealing things up. I'm not one for shortcuts but my dad convinced me to try it, just to see. I need to paint over it and then maybe I won't be so self conscious.

First put a few inches of water in the boat to see if it leaks. If it does we can tell the correct way to fix the leaks.
I wouldn't use a cheap fix b/c if the next owner has to do any repair they will first have to remove the spray on you used.

68merc said:
I pulled an 11' K Craft aluminum boat from a friends property. Last registered in 03. I'm only going to sell it but would like it to be water tight before I do. I've seen the spray cans of TV that seal anything. Can I use that kind of stuff to seal the boat? My thought is to spray the inside and then paint over that.
Here is one that I can think of:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-on-TV-Flex-Seal/20850472

=D> =D> =D> =D>

First post =P~

I probably wouldn't pay much for a boat covered in that stuff...

in MY opinion - - - if you try not to "over think it", a boat does not leak all over.
Just a few loose rivets maybe, maybe a cracked weld, maybe a hole here and there.
but, not all over the whole hull. . . . . so why treat the whole hull or bottom with something
that may be problematic when it comes time to remove it. And, if you read further on
this spray on stuff - there WILL be problems !!!

If you have a whole seam that is leaking, just mask off that area and only spray the
seam that is leaking. Not the whole bottom. Same with rivets. Just spray the leaking issue areas.
in MY world, just address the wound, stop the hemorrhaging, and go FISHING !!!

Jus my Dos Centavos

Well it seems to have worked. I did mask off the seams and spray them also all the seat and cross stabilizer rivets. I could not see any use in spraying the entire hull.
Then I painted the entire boat inside and out.

I'm no painter and other than a good wire brushing and pressure washing I didn't prep the metal. I used an oil based Rust-oleum mixed with cleat spar varnish. Its a finish I have used in the past and it holds up well.

I get water in my right side storage area and I think it is due to a bad rivet or two. How would you know which one is bad? Just spray them all and hope it stops/

JetDrive and 68Merc :WELCOME: to Tin Boats.

Please complete your profile when you have time.
Knowing what part of the country you hail from helps
us give you more accurate information.

to tell if you have a leak - put your boat sort of level on blocks.
(or leave on the trailer - your call) put the plug in.
fill with water - watch for leaks - circle with magic marker.

drain water - address the issues.

to tell if you have a leak - put your boat sort of level on blocks.
(or leave on the trailer - your call) put the plug in.
fill with water - watch for leaks - circle with magic marker.

drain water - address the issues.

Just be careful about HOW MUCH water you fill it with. My father did this as a boy with a plank skiff he had built, and blew it apart. Tin boats, of course, are MUCH stronger than wooden ones... :lol:

Nice paint job, BTW!

Latest posts