Fire Extinguishers - Who Knew!??!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasLoneStar56

Reaction score
According to our game warden, in the State of Texas, any boat with a "fake bottom" must have a fire extinguisher on board. Yes Sir!

Wrote a ticket to a guy yesterday coming off the Sabine River. He modified his flat bottom over the winter with plywood flooring and large front deck, covered in carpet. Nice job, even the game warden complimented him on his work.....all while writing him a ticket for no fire extinguisher. I did not know that, and apparently neither did several fellows. :?

hhhmmmmm

Did he make it so that the gas tank is under the deck or does it sit on top of the deck. In Florida if the tank is mounted under the deck you are required to have a fire extinguisher, even if it is a portable tank.

The reason for this is that gas fumes are heavier than air and will accumulate under the deck therefore increasing the likelihood of a possible fire. The deck does not provide ventilation so the fumes will accumulate, an automatic bilge pump can set them off.

in virginia if you have a false bottom you have to have a fire extinguisher regardless of tank location. plus it is always good to have one on board.

It's a federal requirement, not state.
46 CFR 25.30-20

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 9.35.47 AM.png

I'm guessing the logic here is that in the event of fuel spillage, areas void of foam underneath the deck can fill with fuel or vapor.

But my logic is that even when completely filled with foam, in the event of a spillage, that can be saturated with fuel, and in some cases the fuel may even dissolve the foam, leaving voids.

As I was in Charleston harbor about 5 years ago I was stopped by the city of Charleston police department who patrols the waterway just as DNR does. They asked a couple of questions and mentioned that I had no fire extinguisher on board a 14' Duracraft with no closed spaces. I told him that it was not a requirement because of my boats configuration. He asked a few more questions and came back to to the fact I had no fire extinguisher on board. I told him again it was not a requirement. He asked a few more questions and stated a third time that I had no fire extinguisher. I told him the last time it was not a requirement and they released me with no violations. I understand it would be a good safety item to carry but I didn't have one at that point in time. I did get a small one to carry after that.

KMixson said:
As I was in Charleston harbor about 5 years ago I was stopped by the city of Charleston police department who patrols the waterway just as DNR does. They asked a couple of questions and mentioned that I had no fire extinguisher on board a 14' Duracraft with no closed spaces. I told him that it was not a requirement because of my boats configuration. He asked a few more questions and came back to to the fact I had no fire extinguisher on board. I told him again it was not a requirement. He asked a few more questions and stated a third time that I had no fire extinguisher. I told him the last time it was not a requirement and they released me with no violations. I understand it would be a good safety item to carry but I didn't have one at that point in time. I did get a small one to carry after that.

I just love when city cops or county deputies try to act like they know maritime laws. What I love even more is watching them find sandbars. :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

They need to stay on the highways and write tickets. Go play bully on the hill. Leave the water policing up to DNR and the Coast Guard.

Very interesting comments. Thanks for weighing in. 8)

Although we do not have a "fake bottom", we do carry fire extinguishers on board, all boats, regardless of how the gas tank is installed. However, I must admit, if our little 14' flat bottom should ever catch on fire, I'm bailing out! I've seen what 5 gallons of gas can do when it blows up! :shock:
Just sayin'........

Not to throw more fuel on the fire (sorry, couldn't resist), a full tank of gas (liquid) is a lot less dangerous than a partial fuel tank, as the liquid itself is not as flammable as the fumes are. I carry one all the time, but a fire on a small boat is just too dangerous in my mind to hang around. I'm probably gonna take my chances in making to shore and waiting on the fireworks.

TNtroller said:
Not to throw more fuel on the fire (sorry, couldn't resist), a full tank of gas (liquid) is a lot less dangerous than a partial fuel tank, as the liquid itself is not as flammable as the fumes are. I carry one all the time, but a fire on a small boat is just too dangerous in my mind to hang around. I'm probably gonna take my chances in making to shore and waiting on the fireworks.

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

I'll see ya on shore mate!

Even more ridiculous is the requirement to have a fire extinguisher on a jet ski. Let me tell you something, folks. If my jet ski has a fire under the cowling, I'm sure as heck not going to open it and cause a flashover. I'm simply going to bail, swim to shore, and let the **** thing burn to the waterline. That's what insurance is for. I can buy a new jet ski. Can't replace my life.

PSG-1 said:
Even more ridiculous is the requirement to have a fire extinguisher on a jet ski. Let me tell you something, folks. If my jet ski has a fire under the cowling, I'm sure as heck not going to open it and cause a flashover. I'm simply going to bail, swim to shore, and let the **** thing burn to the waterline. That's what insurance is for. I can buy a new jet ski. Can't replace my life.

AMEN!

I've often wondered about semi trucks as well. They are required to carry a fire extinguisher. Now, looky here......if a big truck is on fire, a little fire extinguisher is not going to help. Better get out and run fer yur life. You are not going to put out 55 gallons of diesel with a little fire extinguisher. Just sayin........

TexasLoneStar56 said:
PSG-1 said:

AMEN!

I've often wondered about semi trucks as well. They are required to carry a fire extinguisher. Now, looky here......if a big truck is on fire, a little fire extinguisher is not going to help. Better get out and run fer yur life. You are not going to put out 55 gallons of diesel with a little fire extinguisher. Just sayin........

I have to disagree with you. I know of a truck that caught fire at a Fuel loading rack while being loaded. I don't know the number of gallons the facility stores but it's wwaayy up there! The drive exhausted a 10lb and a 20lb extinguisher. He managed to get the fire out and probably saved his life and many many more by fighting it.

TexasLoneStar56 said:
PSG-1 said:

AMEN!

That depends on what is on fire. Brakes catch fire on trucks also. You might have an engine fire. You may be involved in an accident and then stand guard with the extinguisher in case a fire pops up somewhere. If you catch it early you can fight it. The extinguisher will work on that. Back when I was driving tankers the company I worked for was very proactive in safety. They had us take classes that taught us fire safety. We actually got to use extinguishers to put out fires they had set up for us.

I have to carry one in our 17' Grumman canoe when I have a kicker on the sidemount. It's motorized and over 16'. :shock:

Code:
That depends on what is on fire. Brakes catch fire on trucks also. You might have an engine fire. You may be involved in an accident and then stand guard with the extinguisher in case a fire pops up somewhere. If you catch it early you can fight it. The extinguisher will work on that. Back when I was driving tankers the company I worked for was very proactive in safety. They had us take classes that taught us fire safety. We actually got to use extinguishers to put out fires they had set up for us.

True. Didn't think about brakes or engine.

My Dad drove a truck for Wal-Mart, and farmed as well. I knew they had fire extinguishers. Years ago, a pickup rolled right in front of us. I waved down every semi that was on the highway to get fire extinguishers, as the pickup was upside down and on fire. Got the fire out, but the guy's neck was broken. He didn't make it, but at least he didn't burn up.

Another incident; we were traveling in our motor home, which had a fire extinguisher. Came upon a car that was on fire under the hood. Got stopped, grabbed the FE and put that fire out, before it blew up. They are good.

I have to disagree with you. I know of a truck that caught fire at a Fuel loading rack while being loaded. I don't know the number of gallons the facility stores but it's wwaayy up there! The drive exhausted a 10lb and a 20lb extinguisher. He managed to get the fire out and probably saved his life and many many more by fighting it.

Man yes! There are probably thousands of gallons of fuel at one of those places. I am not certain on the size of FE. I know they come in several sizes. The smaller ones are what is in our boats, but a larger one was in our motor home. I know they have to be checked every so often to make sure they still have a charge. That guy was lucky, and brave. =D>

nowgrn4 said:
I have to carry one in our 17' Grumman canoe when I have a kicker on the sidemount. It's motorized and over 16'. :shock:

Keyword "motorized", or it is in Texas anyway. Makes sense, but I still stick to my guns about if our little 14' ever catches on fire, I'm bailing! I don't disagree with the law, I just didn't know about the "fake bottom" requirements. I do now!

FE are a good thing. I've seen them work and have used them. I've used baking soda on a grease fire a time or two! :shock: Hey, it works! Makes a mess, but it will put it out. :D

Stay safe out there and keep safety in mind. :D

Latest posts