Auminum Rivet Info

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What type of rivets are most of you guys using in aluminum boat hulls that are for 1/4" holes? Ive looked for 1/4" closed end rivets but don't see a whole lot of options. Seems like there are a lot of 3/16 sized rivets. I was thinking of getting a hf rivet gun. I have a 83 tracker and need to take a lot of rivets out and put back new ones. Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks

If you can't find them locally check e-bay, or google a search for "1/4" solid rivets", and suppliers should be listed.
Solid 1/4" aluminum rivets are available.

1/4 is getting big for blind rivets, I don't recall having seen them larger than 3/16.

McMaster-Carr sells 1/4" rivets of all types. I bought some awesome high-strength blind rivets, aluminum w/ aluminum mandrel. You will need one of those 2' long wishbone-type rivet guns to set them though.

Thanks for all the input guys. It looks like for the heavy duty rivets you need solid rivets. Looks like you could use an air hammer with this kit : https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Cupped-Rivet-Sets-for-Air-Rivet-Hammer-Pneumatic-Rivet-Gun-3-1-2-Long-/181550168628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a453bba34

and then like scooter said get a 2nd person and use a setting tool like this im assuming and go to town :https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kraeuter-Rivet-Setting-Tool-No-350-2-4-1-2-USA-/252003300551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aac9134c7

on the other hand maybe i should just tig weld all the holes up...

This is how I just plugged some holes.
#1: CLEAN the area the best you can to remove all corrosion that may be present and prime.

Setting solid rivets by hand is labor intensive if you have many to do.
On this project I had over a hundred 1/4" rivets to set. Using a 10# sledge head
and 2# hammer, it takes an average of 4-5 whacks to get it flat. (7-8 if you are finicky about the looks).
If you drill a large dimple in the sledge head to match the rivet head,
it will prevent the head of the rivet from being deformed during the beating process.
But, in my case, it was not an issue, just plug the hole and go fishing !!!.

If you have never done this before, I STRONGLY suggest you practice on some scrap
material before you go messing with your boat.
Any heavy steel item will work for your anvil. I also have a 1"x1"x12" steel bar to get into tight places.
Use your noggin, look around and see what will work for your particular application.

Jus my Dos Centavos

Attachments

• Jon Rivets 005.JPG
    Jon Rivets 005.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 675
  • Jon Rivets 006.JPG
    Jon Rivets 006.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 675
  • Jon Rivets 007.JPG
    Jon Rivets 007.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 675
  • 6LB25_AS01.JPG