Inflatable PFD's?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckmechanic

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a inflatable PFD, I think. Anyone have experience to share as brands or advice?. I would like a comfortable one that is reliable as I can barely swim.

I never actually wore my regular life jackets that much when that was all I had. But after purchasing an inflatable I wore it all the time. It was like wearing a vest. Just get one that fits you well and is comfortable and I think you will like it. I actually tested mine because I didn't think something that small would work for me. But I was wrong. It works perfectly. Mine is a manually actuated model but you can get automatically inflated models that will inflate automatically if you fall in.

I would like to have a automatic. I've been looking at the one pictured. May be a good reason to head to Cabelas this weekend. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435106593.187080.jpg

Truckmechanic said:
Of course I would prefer something other than pink. (lol)

Don't be worried with the pink. I bought a pink fish lip grabber (The Fish Grip) because it was a few dollars cheaper than any other color. My buddies do like to give me a hard time about it, but I saved a few bucks :lol:

BigTerp said:
Truckmechanic said:
Of course I would prefer something other than pink. (lol)

Don't be worried with the pink. I bought a pink fish lip grabber (The Fish Grip) because it was a few dollars cheaper than any other color. My buddies do like to give me a hard time about it, but I saved a few bucks :lol:

I bought pink handled screwdrivers for work...magically the screwdrivers stopped walking off.

I highly suggest rethinking an automatic. My first inflatable was a very expensive Mustang auto and the first time it went off was in the back of the truck when I left it there and it got covered in dew overnight. Ok, my fault, don't leave outside when it can get dew or mist. It's a $37 rearming kit. The next time I had it inside the truck cab on a sunny day, it got hot and apparently enough humidity to trigger the sensor. Ok, so now it can't be in the truck or outside the truck- throw down another $37 to rearm. Forget about using it in the rain- that is right out. The third time it went off it was really nice outside, not humid, I was wearing it. Well my beer must have sweat on it and -BOOM- there goes another $37. I ended up not rearming the thing this time, and wore it anyway. They can be inflated manually by the mouth.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm not saying my experience would be everyones, but I will never use one of the automatics again. There is a reason the pros don't use auto inflating. This was a $200 vest. If auto inflating is a must I seriously recommend buying a very good, traditional PFD instead. I now use the standard Bass Pro manually inflating vest and it's been great. Not a single pop yet and the rearm kits are $22.

My inflatable can be manual or automatic. It takes a few minutes to change the setup, so I have it configured as manual and carry the automatic change over kit in a plastic plastic bag, in a pocket on the vest. I can change it over if I feel the need. On sale, there was not that much difference in price.

jethro said:
I highly suggest rethinking an automatic. Not a single pop yet and the rearm kits are $22.
I considered the automatic when I went searching for an inflatable vest. I thought about the possibility of it going off by accident but then I read that it must be submerged to about 4" deep before it would trigger. Guess they lied about that part huh? :lol: Then I read about the cost of the rearming kit and how they were supposed to be replaced (way too often IMO) and that turned my eyes away from the auto inflate and sent me looking at the manual inflatables. I love the comfort of an inflatable vs a standard vest. What I don't understand (actually I do I think) is how I could go through 4 years of training and working as a rescue swimmer in the military (we wore a very small manual inflatable), and never once did we have to replace the CO² cartridge in our vest, unless we had to inflate it for some reason. And we spent many many hours in salt water every year for rescues, training, and re qualifications. Yet they expect you to replace these PFD cartridges every year and at a cost of $22. First, I'd like to know how $22 is a fair price for a little CO² and secondly, since when does CO² go bad inside a sealed steel container? If you have any doubt, look at the cost of the CO² cartridges they sell for BB/pellet guns and the shelf life of those cartridges. I understand you need to remove the cylinder and inspect for rust/corrosion in the mechanism and cylinder, but to replace the cylinder just because it's 12 months older is a hell of a waste and a revenue scam by the mfg IMO. I don't know about the auto inflatables, maybe they have some part of the auto inflate device that expires with age but I just can't see that happening with the manual inflate style. Sorry for the bit of a rant but it irks me to see what I consider scams on the public designed to stuff the pockets of greedy businesses.

Latest posts