busted up trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbouy

Reaction score
i went to load my boat onto the trailer last sunday,only to find out that the winch lock had busted off.good thing i carry extra ratchet straps .the drive out from the lake was around 10 kilometers of forest service road.now i have a busted winch,shot bunks,bent winch mount and a rusted axle,not to mention some really crappy tail lights because i lost one of the led's on another really bad fsr. so i sold it to a work buddy for a hundred and pick up my new roadrunner 1600 with side bunks and a folding tongue tomorrow.new truck,new camper new boat trailer.wonder whats next?

Yikes! After I bought my tin rig a few years back I shot bearing/hub temps with my laser pyrometer several times on the highway and figured everything was fine. Fast forward 6 months and I had a catastrophic bearing/hub failure and lost a wheel at 65MPH out in the middle of nowhere. After all hell broke loose I looked in the side mirror and the sparks coming off the axle grinding on the pavement looked like the space shuttle taking off. Feller behind me saw where the wheel rolled into the woods (I would have never found it) and brought it to us. Damage; two inner bearing races still there and the end of the axle and castle nut/washer ground off about 160 degrees of 360 degrees and the outer bearing surface ground off about 120 degrees. I balked at the $250-$300 tow charges to come way out there load us on a flatbed and haul us to the fishcamp.(I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.).I drug the sucker 50' through the grass to a flat area off the easement, threw all the boat gear in the SUV then disconnected and drove the 17 miles into town to the trailer place. Bought a hub kit in a box and a tub of grease. Then to Publix for a 12 pack, windex, scrub brush and paper towels. Got back and hooked back up the rig. Jacked up the good side, removed the wheel and set down the frame on the wheel and SUV spare. Jacked up the bad side and set it down on the broke off wheel and trailer spare. Pulled the 8 nuts on the 4 "U" bolts and spun the axle 180 degrees so the outer bearings inner race would have good axle/spindle surface to ride on and tightened everything back up. I removed what was left of the castle nut/washer, inner races and cleaned it all up then Greased and installed new hub. It was tricky getting the new castle nut started on a little more than half of what was left of the spindle threads. :shock:But it snugged up nicely and no problem with the cotter key. I jacked it up installed the spare, put wheel back on good side and threw everything in the back of the SUV and headed home. Long day.

I've been running it like this for a year and a half. Monitoring hub temps religiously with no issues but I know I'm on borrowed time so I bought a new axle and another new hub kit for the original side last week and I'm installing it tomorrow.

I've blown lots of tires over the years of boat trailering but this is my only hub failure nightmare. Thankfully.

Nowgrn:

I bought my boat around 3-4 months ago now... 14ft MV Alumacraft on a magic tilt trailer that "looked" great...

Fast forward - made 2-3 trips on the highway with no problems. Go to leave on the 4th trip and make it 2-3 blocks down the road and look behind after I noticed something smoking to see the passenger wheel was crooked. I pull over and see the axle snapped right in half at the bearing - looked through the axle and it was rusted through and dripping water... Apparently water got inside from previous owner and it was bad.

I'm happy it happened so close to the house but it was a long day leaving the boat and driving to a trailer shop 30 minutes away and installing everything in a strangers yard that was very unhappy I was there.

I now check everything religiously like you.

HeavyHook said:
Nowgrn:

I bought my boat around 3-4 months ago now... 14ft MV Alumacraft on a magic tilt trailer that "looked" great...

Fast forward - made 2-3 trips on the highway with no problems. Go to leave on the 4th trip and make it 2-3 blocks down the road and look behind after I noticed something smoking to see the passenger wheel was crooked. I pull over and see the axle snapped right in half at the bearing - looked through the axle and it was rusted through and dripping water... Apparently water got inside from previous owner and it was bad.

I'm happy it happened so close to the house but it was a long day leaving the boat and driving to a trailer shop 30 minutes away and installing everything in a strangers yard that was very unhappy I was there.

I now check everything religiously like you.

Hey Heavy, I'm a Tampon too. 8) Was your sig pic shot up on the Hillsborough?

bobberboy said:
Wonder what's next? Sounds like you reached the promised land...

" the promised land... "

Maybe it was? The feller that fetched my wheel out of the underbrush where it rolled way back in the woods and then brought it to me was an Angel. I would have never found it.

Nowgrn: it's Thonotosassa but I am out at Hillsborough 3-4 days a week actually. Absolutely love the river. I could and do fish there for hours and hours lol

Latest posts