Ventiliation Blower or just a vent? USCG Requirements

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cntryislandboy

Reaction score
Right now I have a open fuel/battery area on my tracker. I was considering enclosing them to keep the kiddos out while boating. A friend said if I enclose them I have to add ventilation blower. From what I was reading a blower is only required when the motor and fuel tank are in same spot, but since it's an outboard, I should be ok. It also sounds like it more for fixed fuel tanks when you would be filling up with tank in boat. I have a removable tank and usually don't fill while in the boat.

My plan was to add one of those vents you see on the outside of houses for attics. The area isn't very big area either. Large enough for 2 batteries and a 5 gallon fuel tank. I could probably fit a blower in there if need be but there's not a lot of extra room.

So if someone could shine a little more light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any links to the USCG code section that would be icing on the cake. Thank you in advance.

Mike

could you do some photos of your current setup ?

This is a good read: https://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/AssetManager/ABYC.1002.01.pdf

the blower does not go in the same compartment as your flammables.
it is a 12v fan motor that goes inline sucking explosive gasses from a compartment
to an area away from any ignition sources.
And, when you go closing up spaces that "include" batteries and fuel - together. . . .
you need to do a LOT of personal research YOURSELF to see what is the safest
way, if it is even possible, to go about it the right way.

one thought that just came to me is . . . . at my local metal shop, I have seen the
aluminum expanded metal . . . you could fabricate your "hatch cover" with this and
be safe and your kids will not have access to the compartment.

Jus my Dos Centavos

you may be over thinking this a little

I'm defiantly continuing to do my own research after all I'll be the one getting into trouble if it comes to that. Here are some a couple pictures, not the best but you should be able to get the idea. Basically just adding to boards, one in front of the batteries/tank, and replacing the existing one that was added a couple years ago by previous owner. The vent I was planning on adding would be on the front in the middle towards the bottom. Hope that makes sense.

I've already got the pressure treated plywood cut to replace the top piece and then put the wall in front of it. But I adding your idea about the whole saw. I'm thinking the vent in the middle on the bottom then drill a couple wholes in the top corners and may one or to more randomly. By the time I get it carpeted you won't even know the whole are there.

When I hear of young men and their kids in a boat, it conjures up fond memories
of when my two brothers and I would go with my parents in a small boat. My father
was awesome. He could do anything. He made several homemade plywood boats
from 12 to 14 feet. Most only powered with an old Scott-Atwater 5 or 10hp motor.
Anyway, at the young ages of to 4 years old, we were very adventurous and got
into everything...... but when it came to being in the boat, we were told to sit STILL,
not to move around or the boat would turn over and the alligators would eat us whole.
LOL I know it is funny now, but, with small kids, you have to do what you have to do
to keep everyone safe.
So, I guess you could be a little more strict with your kids to keep them out of your stern
area and away from the trouble areas and keep them SAFE.
I admire you for spending time with your younguns on the water. I hope it will be fun
safe times that they will always remember.

Looking at your photos again, I see that you have your batteries properly boxed and strapped.
You need to move your fire extinguishers up front at or forward of your steering box.
Any gas fire can quickly mushroom out of control within seconds. And if your fire fighting items
are in the back of the boat with the fire, well ......... just something to think about.

I figured the carpet would be breathable enough, but I like the metal vent idea over the hole better, just not sure if i like the plan open hole idea.

The girls are pretty good about listening, probably me just being overly cautious. But I also think it would look a little nicer enclosed. Not to mention out of sight out of mind for passers by if parked.

I actually will have 2 extinguisher on the boat, one front and one rear. I get them from work and they don't cost me anything. I will have 2 for the very reason you mentioned, if fire starts in back I won't be able to get to that one and other way around, if for some reason one starts up front I'll have one in back to get to. Might be a little over board, but having had my apartment burn down, and now working in the fire protection industry one can never be to careful.

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys, really appreciated.

You don't need blowers. Remember every $$$ bass boat has an enclosed area containing the gas tank and multiple batteries and they don't have blowers. When filling your tank, just leave your hatch open for a few minutes.

Latest posts