new to the forum and to boats, looking of help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noob96

Reaction score
hey guys, so i bought my first boat this month. 2009 16 ft alumacraft jon boat. it came with a 15 hp mercury motor. all i have added is oars. I am looking to buy a bow mount trolling motor this week. any tips on how to mount this? i thought about added plywood to make a deck or just buying the mounting bracket online but that could take some time with shipping. if thats a better way i am willing to wait. Also, i saw a video online mounting it to the side of the boat, but it isn't bolted down by all the screw so it might not be as stable. heres the video to see what I'm talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERn1eqou09w let me know if you have any suggestions! thanks!

:WELCOME: to the World of Tin !!!

I think that the most common problem that we have with the "pull and drop"
mounts is that when in the stored position, being pulled by the vehicle on the trailer,
the foot end is not snug and bounces up and down a lot. Same as with a big outboard on the
boat. It must be snugged down so the foot of the TM does not move or else the
mounting screws/bolts "can" come loose. Just something to consider.
In "MY " world, I would build some kind of mounting plate for it then have it securely
welded in place so you get a better bolting pattern with locnuts.

My personal advice to all new boat enthusiasts is to learn the Maritime Laws
in your area. Boating Safety and Navigation Rules of the Road. It does not
matter if it is a small pond or the The Great Beyond, the rules are the same.
Have fun and be safe !!

Latest posts