Primers: part deux

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for sharing! Your article has my utmost respect. =D>

I had never thought about what could happen by using two different brands of products. Your explanation of each and every product is most certainly appreciated.

Thank you again, Sir!

I have been reading this site for a couple of months now and specifically read this article several times hoping that I had missed something and that some product would jump off the page and help me out with my specific situation. I have a Lowe 14/36 that was given to me several years ago. The boat itself has no damage and almost all the paint is in good enough shape to save. I said almost all the paint. A tree had rubbed off about a 12" circle of paint on the outside, over the rail, and inside of the the hull. My question is, is there a product out there that I can prime this bare metal spot with that will not pull up the existing paint around it and still be able to have a fairly smooth finish. The latex primer in the article would work, however it said you could not sand it. With the latex primer, in y'all's opinion would I end up with something that looks good enough for a semi-gloss finish? And is semi-gloss the right sheen for a project like mine? In the end it is a fishing boat and I want it to look good.

:WELCOME: to Tin Boats.
Please complete your profile when you have time.
Knowing what part of the country you hail from helps us
give you more accurate information.

If your metal is already smooth and all you want to do is paint your bald spot,
in MY world, I would just use a good automotive gray primer that is sandable.
then apply your top coat. Feather it out to match..
then, go fishing.

Latest posts