Vertical rod holders- use when trailering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safetyfast

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question, but this is my first boat. I don't have a lot of room for rods to be horizontal on the deck. I was thinking of using vertical rod holders instead. For those of you that use them, do you leave rods in them when trailering and when going from point to point on the lake?

Basically, all the rods are normally stored horizontal in your boat, truck or car
until you get to the landing. then, put your rods in the vertical holders and have a great day.
In Central Florida, we have what we call "Chain of Lakes" where some lakes
are connected by man made canals. Most of these canals are under bridges
that can be as low as 6ft off the water. So, all the vertical rods must come down.
looking underneath the bridges, you can see the scars of radio antennaes as well
as fishing poles being dragged on them too. BUT - the fishing is AWESOME !!

Make a test run from your house to your landing, then you can reach your
own conclusions as to how it works for you. Depends on your speed and how
far to your boat launch. And, the obstacles; trees, etc.
Your Call.

for me, in my world, it is a hazard just to get to the main road.
House Photos 06-2015 011.JPG
Bass Boat 023.JPG
rod holders.jpg

I keep mine in the vertical holders - I have a double row of holders set at different heights for 10 rods

Towed the boat hundreds of miles without a problem - but DO WATCH out for trees! Been there and done that at my one lake that had very low branches - like the photo above

I made some vertical rod holders out of PVC that I attached to the face plate of my bow deck. I keep them there on the way to the river and when running the boat out on the water. They do get in the way while fishing and getting up and down from the bow deck. So they usually come out of the holders once we start fishing.

IMG_20140309_174646_zpsr8dgslu6.jpg

IMG_20140309_174832_zpsajpjoasj.jpg

I would never store my rods in vertical holders when on the road - too much risk of a rock kicking up and nicking a rod...all it takes is one ding in a graphite rod and the next time you haul back on it you'll have a face full of shards.

onthewater102 said:
I would never store my rods in vertical holders when on the road - too much risk of a rock kicking up and nicking a rod...all it takes is one ding in a graphite rod and the next time you haul back on it you'll have a face full of shards.

I hear what you are saying - however, just about every surf caster travels with the rod outside the vehicle - usually in horizontal roof racks and I have never heard of anyone suffering from road damage?

I have to pass through the one you see behind me in the pic. Thats at the top of the tide. By the time it bottoms out I can stand up and jump with out touching the underside of the bridge.

No way! I launched 2 rods once on the freeway that were just lying on the deck. Too many hazards on the way to the ramp to be vertically stored. Now I bundle the rods together with Ripoff straps and bungee them to the seats. Put them in the vert holders while letting the engine warm up while launching.

For me, short runs to a local ramp, I'll keep them vertical. For long trips, I'll put them onto the floor of the boat and put them in the vertical holders at the ramp.

Just my 2 cents but I personally don't trailer with the rods vertical. I have a set of these Velcro rod straps (cabelas, Sportsmans, Bass Pro) they hold the rods down horizontally to the deck and keep them from bouncing around. About $10 I believe.

Latest posts