Drift bucket

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Fill me in on drift buckets. Been doing a little reading and they seem to work well to help keep the stern of a boat from swinging port to starboard as much when anchored in a current. Sometimes I anchor up pretty close to the face of a dam for catfishing and the boat swinging back and forth can cause snags when lines are out. Do they work well in a heavy current like that? Wouldn't want it to cause the anchor to come loose. Do they have to be centered off the stern to be effective, or can I just tie it to one of the handles on either side of my stern?

I'm a pretty big DIY guy and these seem simple enough to make, if they're effective.

You mean like a drift sock? I've always found them to be a PIA...but they can slow your drift. They aren't going to stop you in current.
For your cat fishing setup, why not just anchor on both ends, or tie the bow off to the dam if there's something to tie to?

Not to stop or slow me, I'll already be anchored at the bow. I'm intrigued by them because, apparently, when deployed off the stern while anchored from the bow they help to keep the boat from swinging back and forth in the current.

And no tying off to the dam. Here is where I was fishing last week.
IMG_20150626_193935_zpsnvoynn32.jpg

I would think that for what you want it'll work. For a heavy current I would make a smaller one, buy some duck fabric and experiment with a 1x1 foot square, a grommet in each corner and some line. Kinda like a small sail.

Thanks.

A drift bucket is a 5-gallon (or other size) bucket with holes drilled in the bottom. The larger/more holes the more water flow and visa-versa. I don't want to try and make a drift sock when a drift bucket seems much easier to make.

Oh, ok...I gotcha now. Seems like the bucket would work, but why not 2 anchors off the bow? Just curious.

2-anchors-off-the-bow.jpg

Has anyone tried a nylon parachute? In the olden days, before my knees went south, I flew model rockets. We used nice, well hemmed, chutes with spill holes. Sizes ranged from 6 inch to 6 foot diameter. Some with reef buttons. A 2 or 3 footer might work well and take up very little space. I'm cheap so they weren't very expensive. :lol:

Ok, a bucket sounds easier. I'd still try to tie it off on center line. Either by doing a line to each handle or some other way.

Hi;
Go to Home Depow and buy a 5 gal bucket for less than $3. Drill about 6 or 8 1inch holes in the bottom so curent can flow through it. Get an old boat bumper or float . Tie 2 feet of line to it, attach other end to bottom of bucket. This stops the bucket from going to the bottom. Tie 20 of 30 feet of line to the handle. If you tie to one side your boat will not line up with the anchor line not aa problem. Having 2 feet of line on the float lets you store float in bucket. Carry a few kitchen catcher garbage bags and you can use the bucket for other things.
Sungull

RivRunR said:
Oh, ok...I gotcha now. Seems like the bucket would work, but why not 2 anchors off the bow? Just curious.

Mostly, because like Ahab said, 2 anchors are a PITA especially if I'm fishing right up against the dam. There is a lot of jagged rocks, structure and who knows what else that washes over the dam under the surface and the water is moving pretty fast. I'm always a bit nervous about my anchor getting hung up when I'm trying to get it up in that heavy current. I also have a bumper float attached to my anchor line in case, for whatever reason, I need to abandon it quickly. I would also think that two anchors off the bow would still allow the stern to swing back and forth, maybe even worse with two anchors, in the current.

sungull said:
Hi;
Go to Home Depow and buy a 5 gal bucket for less than $3. Drill about 6 or 8 1inch holes in the bottom so curent can flow through it. Get an old boat bumper or float . Tie 2 feet of line to it, attach other end to bottom of bucket. This stops the bucket from going to the bottom. Tie 20 of 30 feet of line to the handle. If you tie to one side your boat will not line up with the anchor line not aa problem. Having 2 feet of line on the float lets you store float in bucket. Carry a few kitchen catcher garbage bags and you can use the bucket for other things.
Sungull

Thanks.

Are you saying the bucket doesn't have to be centered off the stern?

I've only used the bucket as a sea anchor for drifting. I don't think you will get the results that you want keeping the boat from swaying in current. Flowing water is dynamic....it rolls and changes course. Also, if your boat lists from one side to the other the current will push the boat.

What I do is set the front anchor with extra standing line.....then drop the back with a little extra standing line...then pull on the front line to tighten the back. Once both lines are tight the boat will have little drift. This does put an extra line in the water for fish to get in, but that rarely happens for me.

Latest posts