hey guys new member here...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrob

Reaction score
I am looking to do some work on a Lowe roughnech 1850 jet that I purchased. The individual before me had screwed uhmw boards to the bottom of the boat and I really dont like it. I dont think he used the right materials/engineering and it is a bit leaky, my greatest concern is one tearing away. a corner of one of the boards already popped and im not confident in them, currently i am puttering along and cannot wait for this winter to do a complete fix.

I was directed to this board as I have begun my investigation and want to completely research and ascertain what it is that im going to do now so i can be ready for winter. I have my own theories and have an engineering backgrund but want to fully research and do a one time fix without trying to reinvent the wheel. In visiting different websites and talking to many differnet people Scott Hogan over at Wetlander coatings directed me towards this site. Wow what a load of iformation, an overload to the searcher at this point. I am certain I want to take the uhmw off. Not sure why anyone would wnat to put holes in their hull. Have been considering , from what ive researched, putting a a poly urea coating on the bottom, other people have suggested 5200, or weldlng and just going that route, etc. any information and experience would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, if there are posting or strings that deal with this type of fix if anyone could direct me to them I am more than happy to read thoroughly.

Also to explain, i bought this boat for about half price n it is like new, i am certain this guy boat with this boat did what he did and then realized he wasnt an expert and kinda screwed it up and wanted to unload it. its not really bad right now it prolly takes in a gallon over the course of 3-4 hours. but i dont want the foam to always be wet, the concern of studs popping etc, i want to spend the time and money and have a really nice boat come spring. All your help is a ppreciated in advance!!

Welcome to TB

You may want to ask this thread be put in the jet sub forum. You'll get a better response there.

Pictures always help especially regarding the UHMW fastening.

My take is you need a welder to fix up the hull.

Latest posts