1648 Lowe tinny, can I use a 2.2 merc. for trolling ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
As the title indicates...I have a lightweight 1648 Lowe, powered by a 50 hp Johnson. Everything is fine. I have just recently started trolling for fish and know little about speeds; depths etc.

I already own the little 2 cycle Merc, though it is in TX and I am, presently, in TN. My question is...will that little motor push my 16-foot boat with one or two guys in it at sufficient speed to effectively troll? I hate to carbon up the 50 hp Johnson just putt-putting along all day.

While we are at it, what are the optimum speeds for trolling? Initial target species is LM bass, but nearby lakes hold Walleyes and smallies.

Any and all help appreciated. I've been fishing for over 60 years, but not trolling, in all of that time. regards, richg99

I'm sure that 2.2 would work well for trolling. And being a fair size boat you won't have to idle it right down to reach optimal speeds. As far as discussions about optimal speeds, that depends on the time of year really.. Usually slow in the spring, and faster as the water warms up, then slow again in the fall

Latest posts