Vintage Johnson Metal Gas Tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a vintage Johnson gas tank at a yard sale yesterday. Pretty clean outside with no rust and looks perfect inside. Took it apart and everything looks good. Considering replacing a few gaskets and using it to replace my plastic tank.The plastic tank is a bit annoying because of swelling and, mostly, because the outside just gets nasty and I'm always getting sludge on my hands from it. What are the pros and cons of plastic vs metal gas tank? Anything I need to consider/worry about if I switch from a plastic to metal tank?

IMG_20150712_142557_zpsayj0hstq.jpg

I just received one of these from a friend and the only draw back so far is the only thing that's good is the actual tank :mrgreen: . It leaks fuel like crazy at the line and the base of the manifold(for lack of a better word). Think I'm going to get some of that gasket material and cut one out for it and see what happens. As far as one vs the other I have no idea but the swelling of the plastic ones make me nervous. Good luck with it.

I am working on one also.
all parts are available online. as well as new decals.
It should not leak from anywhere.
no matter how good the inside "looks", I suggest putting
a couple handfuls of sharp rocks (not pea gravel) some heavy duty
degreaser, half a gallon of water and shake shake shake that booty.
Rinse well, then do your new gaskets and stuff.

NEVER fill a metal gas tank that is still in your boat, truck or car !!!

place the metal tank on the ground to fill it.
and put away your cell phone.

I have one just like that, I replaced my plastic sweller with it and am very pleased. Had to replace the fuel line and give it a good scrub down and paint job. I think they are far superior to the puffy plastic and safer.
Noise is an issue for a tinny so I carpeted the floor, no more noise.

I see that the plastic makers have placed a notice into the plastic tanks stating swelling is normal and not to worry. I worried, kaaboom!

I have one for a mercury motor. The only thing I know about it so far is the gas cap doesn't seal,it has a rubber gasket in it but it is not thick enough. It could be the wrong cap, I'll find out as work on it.

Went ahead and ordered new gaskets. Seems to be all it needs. It even gave me a nice pfffffft of pressured air when I removed the cap. It had a bit of old gas in it from the previous owner. I cleaned everything well and will do as Johnny suggested with the gravel to get the inside nice and clean before I install the new gaskets.

Here is where I got the parts, if anyone is interested.
https://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/OBAccessories/1975/FUEL%20SYSTEM/6%20GALLON%20FUEL%20TANK%20KIT/parts.html

Very timely post for me. I love the sharp rock idea and I was thinking vinegar (I have light rust) . Any thoughts on the fuel/primer lines? Mine may have been sitting and I'm inclined to flush with something. Dollar store had injector cleaner for $1, I was thinking about priming the line and letting it sit for a couple hours. Crazy?

JoeFur and FatBoyAdams - :WELCOME: to Tin Boats.
Please complete your profile when you have time.
Knowing what part of the country you hail from helps
us give you more accurate information.

Since the fuel line is so cheap, I suggest change out
ALL the software. Hoses, gaskets, etc. to prevent any
aggravating issues while on the water.

I have a similar tank and experienced leakage issues. I replaced the O rings for it and that solved it for me. Its worked well for me for 3 years now.

Latest posts