Spearfishing from a 12ft vhull? help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgarrido

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to spearfishing from this boat is that possible? What can I do so I can get in and out of the boat easy ? Any idea would help.

MY suggestion is to take your boat into the water and practice practice practice crawling into
your boat safely. Try to imagine what kind of ladder or bolt-on folding step would help you.
MANY options are available to do it safely. Experiment IN THE WATER and see what works
for you and your body size and strength.
Of course a lot of suggestions fall towards the boat swim ladder that hooks over the side of the boat.
In my world, I would make a custom welded aluminum ladder that would hook into a couple
of the oar brackets. Then it would not be so cumbersome to store and transport.

Jus my Dos Centavos

I want to snorkeling with a SPEAR GUN. I was thinking something in the back that I can sit on to get in. I think is a long shot I was just thinking maybe a few mods can make it possible on this boat.

I think the only thing you could use would be a 3 or 4 step ladder or telescoping ladder off the stern, as close to the OB or center of the boat as you could. Even then, that's gonna be a chore in a small tin ...

If you are physically fit and not too heavy, you could mount a ladder such as this on the transom to enable you to get in and out.
Click on link. A 12 ft hull is kinda small to be getting in and out of but practice would make it easier.
Tim
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/garelick-compact-2-step-flip-up-transom-ladder-78844.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=bing

as I stated before, take your boat to a controlled environment.
Like an area between 6 and 8 feet deep. With the boat fully outfitted
with everything you would take spearfishing with you.
Tie your rope to something on the bank so it does not float away and also
you can pull yourself back to shallow water just in case you can NOT get back in.
then, try to get back into it . . . . and do your own calculations from there.
Practicing in a safe, secure and controlled environment can give you
the experience of things you need to know in order to make exiting and entering
your boat a safe adventure.

jus my Dos Centavos

Im 31, Im not going to let my weight stop me lol. I use this boat for bass fishing all the time, the boat is good only problem is getting in. Ill just forget about for now until I can get a better boat that i can take into the sea.

Well, I am 250 lbs and I am certain I'd roll that boat over trying to crawl in.

However, people crawl in and out of kayaks all of the time. One method
uses something called a paddle float and a hanging step. Since the sides of your boat are so much higher than a yak, I am not sure that even that arrangement would help. I will find the Youtube that demonstrated the process.

Personally, I'd feel much safer crawling in and out of a sit-on-top kayak, than that boat.

richg99

here you go...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He1dGhhaxok

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10254

I think pods plus the ladder would do good maybe lol

A while back I noticed a guy adding sponsons to his twelve footer.
He was using from what I could tell the same kind that the Radisson canoe uses, but there are other types.
With cargo/battery forward and a small water barrel up front if needed for a counter weight, a trial could be done of trying to board by a stern ladder from the water.
Maybe even double the sponsons on one side and try boarding over it.
An empty sealed thirty gallon plastic barrel secured temporarily might even do it.
The right design might allow a ladder secured to gunnel and angled over the barrel. Two piece for hauling/stowing.
The hull floats due to weight distribution. Transferring additional weight on part of it needs compensating some where else.

I have (in my younger days) climbed aboard with equipment ranging from simple mask/fins/snorkel to full SCUBA gear. By far the easiest was my 15' Zodiac - just grab the rope on the side, swing a leg over the side and roll in.

The other boats were power boats. IMO the only way to go is over the transom, particularly with that 12 footer. You need something below the water line that you can get your foot on so you can lift with your legs. When I climbed aboard an IO, we used the cavitation plate as a step - worked great.

For your situation, take a look at some of the over-transom ladders that have been recommended. One technique I found particularly helpful was to let a line, with a snap hook on the end, over the side. When you come up to the boat, pull off your heavier gear and secure it with the line/snap. Whether you doff the fins depends on what you set up as a ladder/step. Sometimes you need the drive of the fins in the water to help you get up. In other setups, the fins just get in the way.

I use this and knotted rope for climbing in and out of my boat. The ladder on the link has more rungs that mine...I only have 3 rungs. It's nice because it collapses for easy storage.

https://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Sea-Dog-Emergency-Boarding-Ladder-5-Step&i=81167&r=view&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3831313637&kpid=81167&gclid=CILVqvil28YCFQYvaQodUY0MIg

Back in the 1960s I had a 12 foot Sears Game Fisher with a 5.5 Johnson and dove out of it all the time. What I did then and still do is to put weight belt and spear gun in boat. Then if anyone else is in the boat they move to the other side. I just grab the gunnel and push myself down into the water. Then start very strongly start swimming up and pulling hard with my arms and just sort of swim into the boat. If you are in salt water and have large fins especially if you have on a wet suit it's not difficult at all. Fresh water is more difficult.

Also if 2 people are diving have one person on the other side of the boat hold down on to the gunnel while the first person enters.

If you try it, first try in shallow water.

Make sure you can lower the ladder from outside the boat in case you jump in and forget to lower the ladder first.

I saw a movie where someone jumped in the water and left the ladder up and could not get back in the boat. He got eaten by a shark three days later.

OP: I spear out of my 12ft vhull OFTEN. It does get cramped especially with two divers, cooler and guns on board. I would NOT blow bubbles with a 12 footer however because its just too much weight and gear onboard.

You'll have a fun time getting back in such a small boat- Id rig a littlr rope with some type of loop to put your foot intoand tie it off to a cleat near the stern.

Its MINI SEASON so what better time to get out their and give it a try. If you havent speared before remember, objects look 1/3rd larger under water- so if it looks border line slot under water IT'S too small and you shouldnt pull the trigger.

Good luck!

OP here are the CURRENT AND CORRECT FWC Laws. Go out and shoot some fish!!

Spearing is defined as "the catching or taking of a fish by bow hunting, gigging, spearfishing, or by any device used to capture a fish by piercing its body. Spearing does not include the catching or taking of a fish by a hook with hook and line gear or by snagging (snatch hooking)."

Spearfishing is defined as "the catching or taking of a fish through the instrumentality of a hand or mechanically propelled, single or multi-pronged spear or lance, barbed or barbless, operated by a person swimming at or below the surface of the water."

The use of powerheads, bangsticks, and rebreathers remains prohibited.
The following is a list of species that are prohibited for harvest by spearing. Any other species not listed that are managed by the Commission, and those species not managed by the Commission, may be harvested by spearing.
Billfish (all species)
Spotted eagle ray
Sturgeon
Manta ray
Sharks
Bonefish
Tarpon
Goliath Grouper
Snook
Blue Crab
Nassau grouper
Spotted seatrout
Red drum
Weakfish
Stone Crab
Pompano
African pompano
Permit
Tripletail
Lobster
Families of ornamental reef fish (surgeonfish, trumpetfish, angelfish, butterflyfish, porcupinefish, cornetfish, squirrelfish, trunkfish, damselfish, parrotfish, pipefish, seahorse, puffers, triggerfish except gray and ocean)

You may NOT spearfish (excluding bowhunting and gigging) as described below:
Spearfishing of marine and freshwater species in freshwater is prohibited. Possession of a spear gun in or on freshwater is also prohibited.
Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.
Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea - except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.
In Monroe County from Long Key north to the Dade County line.
For any fish for which spearing is expressly prohibited by law (listed above).
In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Environmental Protection, Recreation and Parks. (Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.)
Fishermen who catch and/or sell fish harvested by spearing are subject to the same rules and limitations that other anglers in the state are required to follow.

To the OP, know your boat and it's limitations. Find what will work for you and fit your style in a safe manner before extending yourself. As said above, cavitation plates make great steps and I've read about a couple folks who took a swim in cold water that were able to use the motor trim to lift themselves out of the water before they perished.

Latest posts