Is this a Spun Propeller?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassNstuff

Reaction score
Had my bass tracker out for the first time on a larger lake to do some fishin, got closed out of my dock by fast moving thunderstorm. Had to move fast down the river to outrun the weather and suddenly I lost power and speed but not RPM... In an idle state I actually had a tiny bit of thrust, anything over hard idle would loose thrust and slow down rapidly...

I spoke to a guy at the dock I took shelter, he said it sounded like a "spun hub" .. Ended up idling back to my dock 20 miles away :?

Took the prop off and with a screwdriver in the pinhole I can turn the hub separate from the rest of the prop but its still very difficult...
This was its first real time out with other repairs Ive made and starting to feel like if its not one thing its another breaking haha... Im hoping that this is an issue of the age of the prop/hub and not something SO common it randomly happens now and then...

Anyone have any recommendations on where I can order a replacement propeller for this 1990 Chrysler Force 50? So far Ebay has been the only place I found an original, but they all look like they are circa 1990 and Id much rather put a new prop on (especially since I blew this one in a single day) does any company make copies of older original propellers like this? Thanks!!

Assuming it IS a spun hub [and it sound's like it from your description]. You may want to put engine in gear when not running and see if you can spin the prop... foward & reverse.

You can get Flo-Torq [or similar] adapters [hubs] for virtually any engine. My 2000 40hp merc cost $28 for a Flo Torq II.

You just match the hub to the prop shaft / spline.

Turning Point props cal set you up with a complete system - they'll even recommend the prop diameter and pitch.

You can get out of it for less than $130.

https://turningpointpropellers.com/

And go to their prop wizard.

Get a new hub as mentioned above or send it off to a prop shop, they can put a new hub in it.

Here in Houston we use Mike Hood, he fixes all props.

Depending on the design of your prop you may be able to use a drop-in hub like the flow-torque setup or you will need to have a prop shop press a new hub in for you if it's the older style. One way or the other it's a much cheaper fix than a new prop.

Latest posts