A long, boring story about a long, boring day.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Late yesterday afternoon, even though I had been fishing for 5 hours with a local guide in the early morning...I decided that I just HAD to go fishing (again).

These things happen when the boat is 15 minutes away; the launch is 200 yards from the boat, and your wife is away for the day. Additional emphasis was added by our guided trip resulting in only one 2 lb. LM bass!

I texted my brother-in-law and he was game. He met me at the launch a half hour later, and we dropped my 1648 side-console Lowe into Lake Dartmoor in Eastern Tennessee.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of trolling. In fact, earlier in the week, a TinBoat's guy (EastTNTroller) was kind enough to share his extensive knowledge of the art of trolling with me. My new-found trolling ( first time I've done that in 60 + years of fishing) has produced a few nice LM bass catches. My little 50 hp motor just seems to putt-putt along and hasn't carboned up yet.

Off we went, with gray and getting grayer skies, blowing in from the Northwest. We planned on fishing for an hour or so, unless the bass were jumping into the boat. Since that never happens, I expected to be off the water before total darkness.

We trolled down about half of this small lake with nary a bump. That is, unless you count the reefs that banged our deep-diving crank baits. The lake varies from 8 or 9 feet to 55 feet deep. Some of the changes occur rapidly, and I have learned to swing the boat in and out from the shoreline to anticipate the shallow areas. I haven't yet learned all of the variances. With nothing to show for our trolling, we started working the boat docks; small cuts, and one or two rare weed beds. Deep, rock-filled reservoirs do not generate many weed beds.

After the better part of an hour, my BIL noticed the wind picking up, followed by some sprinkles. There has been so much rain in this part of Tennessee this year, that I have started calling our daily showers "Mountain Dew". I must have heard that someplace since it has a nice ring to it.

We pointed the Lowe in the direction of home, and dropped our lines over the side. Might as well troll, since this is a no-wake lake and you can't go any faster than a quick trolling speed, anyhow.

Fifteen minutes later, when we had reached the halfway point, my motor simply stopped. It had been running so very well, that I was immediately puzzled. I did think to grab the gas tank, and low and behold, it was very light. So very light because your writer had RUN OUT OF GAS. Now, I've been running boats of one sort or another for five decades. I had NEVER before run out of gas. When I ran Galveston bay, I checked the tank constantly, before, during and after I hit the dock. Last summer, I barely used one tank of gas on this little lake.

Ahhhh ha! it was the trolling that I've put my little 50 hp Johnson through that burned off my full tank! Never did I think that I could run out. I had added gas just a week or two before. Of course, I could think of numerous nefarious ways that gas might have been stolen. The boat and tank are left fully exposed in the far reaches of the open boat lot. But, in truth, I could blame no one but myself. Even though I religiously use a check-list, the item that said "enough gas?" hadn't been properly executed in a week or two.

Oh well, the wind was at our back; the rain sprinkles had dissipated, and my trolling motor battery had been charged just the day before. Moving along slowly, the docks ahead gradually came into view. Just about that time, my rod bounced twice. I thought I'd picked up a snag, as the bottom contour had shallowed out. I'd kept the boat on a direct line home, and didn't try to avoid the rocky bottom. Once again the rod stopped. This time I knew it was a fish, She came back a third time and took the lure. A quick fight brought her to the net. Not a big bass, but she was a bit larger than the 5 hour earlier guided trip had produced.

Reaching the launch, we dragged the powerless boat onto the trailer and left it in the middle of the boat yard parking lot. It was pitch dark. I could come back in the morning to add fuel and put her away properly.

Arriving the next morning, I gassed up, and started to put the tinny back into its slot in the rear of the boat yard. That is when I noticed that one of my trailer bunks had folded over and collapsed under my treasured tin boat.

After replacing the stern plug, I dropped her into the lake. The best place to work on the trailer was at home, so I hauled her there. Off to the hardware store ( the only place open with-out a 16-mile round trip) to pick up two 8 foot 2x4s. Over the next two hours, in between rain showers, I re-did the bunks. A few months ago, I added some PVC strips over the carpet on the bunks. Since the carpet no longer served any function, I was able to discard it from the project. That speeded things up, and, other than waiting for the paint to dry on the 2x4's, I was able to finish rapidly.

So, over one long evening and most of the next morning, my boat gained gas; new bunks, and a very wet and tired owner.

regards, richg99

Had a similar time a couple weeks ago. Broke the steering cable the previous trip so we were going to use the 5.5hp kicker along with the troller to get us around. Turns out the fuel tank for this motor leaked when pressured up and we didn't notice we were low on fuel until across the lake. Finally coasted into the dock on the fumes of the starting battery after draining the trolling one. Had the wind in our face the whole way back and it was so low on juice that we just beached it at the ramp in fear of trying to make it to the dock and back.

Didn't catch a single fish either, just a sunburn. Probably the worst fishing trip ever.

Abraham said:
Had a similar time a couple weeks ago. Broke the steering cable the previous trip so we were going to use the 5.5hp kicker along with the troller to get us around. Turns out the fuel tank for this motor leaked when pressured up and we didn't notice we were low on fuel until across the lake. Finally coasted into the dock on the fumes of the starting battery after draining the trolling one. Had the wind in our face the whole way back and it was so low on juice that we just beached it at the ramp in fear of trying to make it to the dock and back.

Didn't catch a single fish either, just a sunburn. Probably the worst fishing trip ever.

But at least it WAS a fishing trip! :mrgreen:

CMOS

Your right Rich
Boring
I kept waiting for the exciting part.
Next time I will take your word for it.
I worked all day, that really sucked.
Tim

I've never run out of gas but that is one of those things I am diligent about. I always keep a second two gallon filled and ready to go - I'll use it top the main tank off after 1-2 trips so that I know I will never run out. I fill the two gallon back up whenever it is empty (basically eliminating any chance of running out of gas).

Good thing where I fish is that if I do run out of gas I could use the trolling motor fairly easily to get back as it would be a down stream run. In fact I could probably just float back home slowly and enjoy it.

Stories like yours are funny and teach life lessons somewhere in them. My last trip I left my hat of all things... Yes leaving my hat left me annoyed as heck trying to cover the sun from my face over and over. A hat on a sunny day fishing is one of those must haves and I would have rather run out of gas and just trolled back home haha.

Sorry to hear about your ruined day but at least the story was a good read.
I know the feeling......
I got stuck on a mud bank as the tide was running out. It was a cold 2008 Thanksgiving weekend here in New Jersey. Al I had on was a sweatshirt and my phone was dead. This river kills people. Many people have gotten stuck in the mud and drowned. A friend later told me that he lost another friend in the very same spot when they were teenagers. Same thing! Boat got stuck and he got out to try and push. Went straight under the mud and got stuck. The tide came in later and he drowned. Needless to say I know this rivers reputation and did not get out of the boat. I hunkered down to spend the night there and wait until the tide came back in. However, that same friend, happened to be out on the trail with his dog and saw me. He got a fishing rod, a camping bag, and a winter hunting suit out of his trunk. He got out as far as he could get on the shore line and casted that bag with the suit in it. I casted my line out to the bag and dragged it in. That suit was a life saver as the temperature after the sun went low was down to below freezing. He called the fire department and they came with a boat. They through a line to me and sledded my boat out about 30 feet to the water. Came out without a scratch on me or the boat.

What went wrong? I forgot my fish finder. This is a muddy river and you can't see bottom in 6 inches.
I triple check everything now.

I also didn't catch any fish that day.

sonny.barile said:
Sorry to hear about your ruined day but at least the story was a good read.
I know the feeling......
I got stuck on a mud bank as the tide was running out. It was a cold 2008 Thanksgiving weekend here in New Jersey. Al I had on was a sweatshirt and my phone was dead. This river kills people. Many people have gotten stuck in the mud and drowned. A friend later told me that he lost another friend in the very same spot when they were teenagers. Same thing! Boat got stuck and he got out to try and push. Went straight under the mud and got stuck. The tide came in later and he drowned. Needless to say I know this rivers reputation and did not get out of the boat. I hunkered down to spend the night there and wait until the tide came back in. However, that same friend, happened to be out on the trail with his dog and saw me. He got a fishing rod, a camping bag, and a winter hunting suit out of his trunk. He got out as far as he could get on the shore line and casted that bag with the suit in it. I casted my line out to the bag and dragged it in. That suit was a life saver as the temperature after the sun went low was down to below freezing. He called the fire department and they came with a boat. They through a line to me and sledded my boat out about 30 feet to the water. Came out without a scratch on me or the boat.

What went wrong? I forgot my fish finder. This is a muddy river and you can't see bottom in 6 inches.
I triple check everything now.

I also didn't catch any fish that day.

Dang that sounds crazy... I could see most people just hopping out and getting stuck and having to wait for the tide to come back only to stay stuck. I would be so anxious going out there I probably would have to bring a whole survival set up in case something like that happened.

These days I bring plenty of stuff with me. Even if Im going out for just a couple of hours I still bring snack food and plenty of bottled water just in case. I leave a space blanket on the boat "all the time" and a plug that can adapt my cell to the fish finder battery. Fishing in cold weather has its added dangers......

I can't say that things won't ever go wrong again but if they do, I will be better prepared.

Latest posts