Trolling Motor Battery Cable Extension

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JReeves96

Reaction score
Hey, guys. First time poster so bear with me.

I have a 10 ft Jon boat that is currently under construction. I built a storage hatch up front and I want to put the battery up there. I have the Prowler 55 lb transom mount. Obviously my cables aren't long enough to go all the way up front. Is there a way to extend the battery cable? If possible, I would still like to take the motor out of the boat when it's stored.

Could I get two ring terminals and Bolt them together? Or would that lose too much power?

Any help is appreciated.

Josh

just cut off the battery connections at the end, solder longer cable and heatshrink it to cover it back up. It's not hard at all, just be sure to use the correct wire gauge.

Minnkota has a site for their specific models, but it'll give you a good idea for yours. I used the wires from an old pair of jumper cables I had laying around and haven't had any problems with it.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/Support/Battery-Selection---Rigging/

Yep, just get some 6 gauge wire (or jumper cables) and extend away.

If you want it removeable, add a TM plug.

Arc welder cable does the job really well too if you need longer cables than the jumper cable. Very fine stranded copper cable and it also comes in red and black insulation. If you are able to avoid using joints in the cable. Use single lengths with crimped and soldered lugs on each end. It is far better resistance wise.

Don't forget to use a circuit breaker. And, here is a picture of a trolling motor plug setup.

richg99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PTHKRQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001PTHKSA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1B58MEZ4KRQSVRFBYGNZ

41X2EcKxC-L._SY355_.jpg

Latest posts