1974 Polarcraft 1451 restore for floundering.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amk

Reaction score
I picked up this 1974 polar craft 14' long 51" wide with a 96 mclain trailer came with spare tire and two nice anchors for $300. I have a couple of jet jons but I needed a boat to put my 20 hp outboard tiller on and one wide enough two people maybe three could gig flounder from comfortably. This boat so far seems to be a good candidate. I have 5 150 watt HPS lights I plan on rigging to the front for the lights.

I ordered some slick bottom to coat the bottom so it will slide through the mud I hope the ribs on the bottom wont negate the slick coat. I'm going to start today peeling paint and sanding it down.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good painting technique for the rest of the boat. I plan on sanding the whole thing and re painting any primer recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_1546[1].JPG
    IMG_1546[1].JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 968
I think there is a thread on steel flex on this forum, or a similar product.

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11977

Started using a sander then a angle grinder with sanding pad decided that was gonna take to long. I've got a buddy that has a sand blaster so I'm gonna give that a shot unless there's some reason I shouldnt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 942
I found that using the wire wheel and cup brushes did a pretty good job of removing paint. It left the aluminum shiny and I figured the swirls just gave the paint a rougher surface to adhere to.

file.php

file.php

I might try that before I go buy a soda blaster then. How long did it take you to do that?

It was a while back but I'd say that area there was probably under 2 hours with the 3" wire cup brush. I started with my cordless drill at about 1600 RPM and it was going well but it ate the battery up and I had to switch to a corded drill that was only about 600 RPM. It should probably go much faster for you if you pick up a 4" brush and use the grinder.

thanks for that tip you might of saved me a couple hundred dollars because I was set to go buy a soda blaster :D

Made a rail. It works pretty good I just strap it down when I go and take it off when I get home. Still drafts 5" water with two guys on front and the rack so I'm happy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 886
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 886
Tried wire wheeling wasn't going to fast a buddy of mine told me to get a jug of aircraft paint remover from oreilys. I painted it on and it worked really well. Within a minute that paint blistered and came off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 864
Finally had a day off to get to wire brushing got it polished shiny and clean. There were a lot of spots that had gone through some significant pitting and corrosion I jb welded the spots and smoothed them with a puddy knife. They've cured for 24 hrs so now it's time to put the gator glide down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 843
Once the glide dries I will sand the top paint coat prime it and paint it I got a stencil kit will see how it goes.

I'll get my profile updated tonight when I can sit still. I finished applying the slick coat. I've got the rest of the outside sanded ready for primer. Can I spray latex primer or do I have to brush it I have a Wagner spray gun?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 834
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 834
YES, you can spray latex with any kind of gun.
Just follow the directions on the can as to just how
much you need to thin it down for spray application. usually 5-10%.
but, runs are frequent, so following up with a brush is required to get a good smooth finish.

on the inside, you could use the spatter technique to give it that really high-end look.
Paint your base coat - then, come back with your sprayer cut way
down on the pressure and don't thin the paint so it just spatters the paint out.
and spray even coats all over. You can NOT go back over it with a brush.
what goes on, stays on - as it is.

PRACTICE first on cardboard or something you don't mind getting messed up.

Looking back I would of definetly put the primer down for the paint before putting the slick bottom but o well. I used a Wagner paint ready spray gun on the primer it took me about 1.2 minutes to apply the primer with the gun. Now I have to wait on my stencil kit so I can determine what the base color is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 804
So I went with the rustoleum spray paint camp colors they were the only flat camo colors I could find recommended for water use without having to order off the internet. I did two coats with the base green and did the break up with the brown. Tomorrow I will spray the khaki grass on the top. It's easier to hold the stencil against the boat with it still upside down letting gravity work for you. I tried it once on another boat with it up right it requires a lot more tape. I decided to camo this one because I will use it for more than just floundering even though that will be its primary use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 262
Well got the outside done I'm planning on trying it out this weekend still got a light bar to add and gotta paint that rack and the inside. But she is operational now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 249
Success the boat drafts a couple of inches only which makes it awesome for giging

Latest posts