Rivets - Riveting - Riveter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... but doesn't it only hammer once :?: ????????????? At least with each trigger pull ...

Never bring a semi-automatic riveter to a full-auto riveter shoot out, hah!

I would not doubt that a cordless impact driver / drill might work on aluminum rivets. Need to get the proper bit for it though.
Tim

earl60446 said:
I would not doubt that a cordless impact driver / drill might work on aluminum rivets. Need to get the proper bit for it though.
But to me ... one would NOT want to spin the rivet in the hole, I can't see that helping the seal.

For riveting, you want all of the force from the tool imparted squarely on the rivet head and parallel to the axis of the shaft/tail.

I'm a Carpenter by trade and have a few palm nailers, which we use for joist hanger nails or areas when a nailer or hammer is to difficult to reach.

If you're going to try and use it for riveting you'll need to use an tank mounted air compressor with at least 1 1/2 hp for consistent delivery.

There isn't a trigger on this tool, you just push down and that's it.
It will drive nails from 1" to 12" spikes, depending on the sleeve.

Paslode,Rigid, Bostich, and Hitachi will come with 3 sets of adapte sleeves for finishing nails to roofing nails. You also get an extra set of O-rings with it for the 4 brands mentioned.

Make sure to use a good quality pneumatic tool oil with it, or you'll prematurely wear out the O-rings much like running an outboard without water for the impeller.
I almost forgot to mention, wear padded mechanics gloves, as your hand will be numb after a few minutes :wink:

This is only for solid rivet use, right? :?: :?: :?: If so, you would still need a bucking bar. Cant see how it can be used on/for blind rivets, unless I am missing the point :oops: . If using blind rivets you can always pick this up a HF.

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-air-hydraulic-riveter-61482.html

image_24723.jpg

You would still need an air compressor that supports 4.5CFM's @ 90PSI to use this tool. I own one, but have yet to use it, but plan on using it here in the next few weeks. You can always get a decently priced air hammer and buy a rivet set, like these for $30. Here is the link: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200449128_200449128
301100_700x700.jpg

Still need that air compressor though. I own a HF Central Pneumatic 8gal/125psi/2HP compressor, and it does just fine with the air tools I own. Bought it for $120. Just have to make sure the tools CFM is compatible with the compressor you are using.

Shoedawg - thanks for your post. I have been looking for that kit.
I have been trying to make my own with limited success. I have
about 4 hammers and a whole bunch of the clip-in tools.
I have a friend that is a woodcarver that carves mostly white oak.
He has made some very fine wood chisels to assist in his work.
Very tedious work to make them yourself !

I am like Dale, eventually we will have all the "correct" rivet and Tinsmith tools to
work on Tin Boats !!

and yes, the Palm Driver would be used only for solid rivets with a bucking bar.
It just replaces the hammer is all. But I can see that it will
probably not work well getting into tight places like a seat flange
where a hammer can use only one inch of space where the Palm Nailer
may need 3". It was just a thought. LOL I am a gadget junky, so it caught my eye.

Latest posts