Foam 2lb/4lb Density? US Composites

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoedawg

Reaction score
I have done a search and can't find much on here or on the net. Here is my dilemma.

Below is the cavity that I have to fill with foam. I removed the old foam out. You can see the thread about it here: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37767
image002.jpg

I plan on using US Composites 2 part expanding urethane foam. See the details of their foam here: https://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

US Composites sells the foam in a 2lb or 4lb (and other lbs as well) density. The 2lb density states:
"Our 2LB density marine foam is recommended for void filling in nonstructural applications. This product can be poured underneath decks and inside cavities where a lightweight flotation foam is needed to provide buoyancy"

The 4lb states:
"This 4LB density foam is suited well for most flotation applications that require more support than the 2LB offers. This foam is recommended to be used when supporting gas tanks and some deck areas. Choose this density if you feel that the foam will be required to withstand minor to moderate loads."

The cavity above is covered by a deck, but is small. The deck width is 16.5" and about 45" long. There is some storage that sits flush with the deck. I will be replacing a new deck on each side and plan on using the back of the boat for a casting deck (with a pedestal mount chair). Heres a pic of it w/ details:
image001.jpg

So my question is this. Should I get the 4lb or 2lb for deck support? I don't think the sides of the deck (where the cavities are) would get stand on much. If 2lbs is enough to support occasional loads, this would save me some money. Couldn't tell ya what was in it before. But I have been reading most use 2lb, but some highly recommend 4lb.

Total volume for both cavities, is approximately 14 cubic feet. The price difference between the 2lb/4lb is about $112, with 2lbs being cheaper.

Opinions, suggestions? What did you choose. 2lb or 4lb?

Latest posts