screws

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joho5

Reaction score
Ok I have a question. I will be building my deck on my v hull with 2x2's and the deck with 3/4 ply. You guys used stainless screws right? I was wondering if I should use a different screw when screwing the wood to the boat vs the wood to wood with the brackets? Also, what kind of brackets did you guys use? Do they sell aluminum brackets, or did you guys just use the normal ones? One more question...How long of screws did you guys use?

Thanks

:?: good question my friend,, i prob being doing a decking project myself and thats a question i would like to know,,but i think i will be doing my deck with aluminum framing with rivots,, but again its a good question to ask,, i would like to know myself

Quick question... How much wieght can your boat support because that 3/4in plywood weighs a ton. I am only using 3/8 and it is like dancefloor on the bow of my boat.

Your best bet is to type the word screws in the upper right corner and go through the threads. I just did and noticed that there was no set standard to what people were using.

You can't go wrong with stainless screws for all situations, but they aren't really necessary for wood to wood connections. I'd use stainless for attaching the wood to aluminum, though. If you can't find self tapping stainless, just drill a smaller pilot hole all the way through the aluminum before you run the screw in.

I've been using 3 inch and 2 inch galvanized deck screws on mine so far. Next time you go to lowes or wherever you go ask them about some Power Pro Screws and make sure you get the outdoor ones. These screws are some bad news(in a good way). And i'm using 3/4 inch for my main deck and it actually makes it more stable when in the water because of more weight.

Jim said:
Your best bet is to type the word screws in the upper right corner and go through the threads. I just did and noticed that there was no set standard to what people were using.
#-o oh is that what the white lil box is for??..lol

Sounds Good said:
...just drill a smaller pilot hole all the way through the aluminum before you run the screw in.

That's a good point! I try to pre-drill a pilot hole for every job/project I do. It'll certainly prevent the wood from splitting or the screw(s) from twisting-off/breaking during the insertion process. If you also find that driving the screws into the wood is tight (even after pre-drilling), drag the screw(s) across a bar of soap first :wink:

Tyler_W said:
I've been using 3 inch and 2 inch galvanized deck screws on mine so far. Next time you go to lowes or wherever you go ask them about some Power Pro Screws and make sure you get the outdoor ones. These screws are some bad news(in a good way). And i'm using 3/4 inch for my main deck and it actually makes it more stable when in the water because of more weight.

I thought galvanized anything was a no-no in an aluminum boat?! [-X

i was about to ask that next...about that deck wood / the type of wood people use mostly by the oceans and in canals to build decks on the water. is that the type of bracing you are talking about? Its made for that situation, but probably a bit more expensive.

I have learned the hard way after pulling my deck up and putting it back down numerous times that removing the S/S screws with a cordless drill is ok but putting them back should be done real carefully and preferably with a manual screwdriver and not power. Those S/S screws will tear up the little holes in that thin aluminum if you're not careful.

BLK fisher said:
I used deck screws and the deck bracing. Both made for outdoor use and can withstand the weather.

That's what I used as well. Has worked well for me.

Latest posts