Cleaning carb

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlester

Reaction score
I have been meaning to post this link for people like me who know very little about outboard carbs.
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...estions-faq/250235-carb-cleaning-instructions

First I tried to short cut the steps, like a complete disassembly and soaking all night, with no results. Once I took my time and did it right , my motor started right away an runs smooth. I had to use a carb schematic to locate all the Jets and the needle valve was hard to remove. Ultimately it was a gummy needle valve that was causing most my issues.

This helped me get on the water with just a cleaning and I did not have to buy a rebuild kit.

I also advise cleaning from smallest orifice to larger, then to largest. Any cleaning or compressed air "the other direction" will do nothing but force the crud deeper into places that one might not get it out of ...

Good info!

If I were to add one thing, it would be that I've seen more problems caused by the use of poor service manuals, Clymer or Seloc for example, than by poor technique, but that's just IMHO.

To be ignorant is one thing and in the true meaning of the word, it is NOT meant to be a derogatory statement ... for it just means that one doesn't know something. But to buy a $20 piece of crap manual and get bad info ... that's just egregious!

FYI, PDF versions of OEM factory service manuals can be had for as little as $20 from on-line sources.

Latest posts