Going the other way......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny.barile

Reaction score
Between this sight and some others I have found through Google searches, there seems to be plenty of folks that take covered bow runabouts and convert them into open or casting decked boats. Has anyone tried going the opposite way? By this I mean turning an open aluminum skiff into a covered bow runabout? (pleasure craft) Someone linked to an old 60 year old runabout (listed on CL in one of the Lone Star build pages and it is intriguing at the least. Got all sorts of ideas flowing in my head. I have a good sound open hull. How much of a stretch would it be to build a cap for it and maybe custom fabricate some kind of classic looking windshield for it?

I recently gained some insight related to this. I was working on a no-name 14' runabout, trying to save it from the grim reaper. I poured several hundred dollars and several hundred hours into the project which, in the end, I knew I would not be able to keep. I had hoped, once finished it would go to someone in the family. I was interested in the project and was fine with the time and expense so long as I could give to someone. Nobody wanted it. Once I realized that I decided to cut my losses and sell it. It took most of the summer but I finally sold it last week for a fraction of what I had into it.

The lesson I think I learned is this, older, vintage boats have a great nostalgic appeal to many but the ones worth investing in are the really great ones like a Lone Star or a Crestliner Jetstreak like this one currently for sale in my area. These classic designs are sought after and highly regarded by collectors and vintage boat aficionados and are worth dropping a pile of money into.

If the boat you have is the boat you want and you are keeping it for your own use, go ahead and put the effort into it but do so knowing you'll never get out what you've put into it. Average run-of-the-mill runabouts are just that, average. Mine was one of these and its real value was that it had been in the family since the beginning. Once the family ceased to love it no one else did and when it came time to sell it I took a beating (if there was a smiley emoticon hanging its head it would be added here). I got roughly a third of what I had into it and I got the boat and trailer for free!

You're in a spot a lot of people here find themselves in. They want to make the boat they've got into the boat they want. It's not always possible to just go out and get the one you want but by doing the work yourself you might make it happen. Just be aware of the pitfalls. And speaking of pits, the boat is another money pit so you'd better love the thing you're working on and be prepared to get your wallet out from time to time.

Our family original 14' 1959 Crestliner has done just that several times . . .
the bow deck is only riveted on. My two younger brothers and I take turns
with "possession" for a few years at a time. My younger brother is an avid flats
fisherman and duck hunter. So when he has the boat, he takes the bow off
and puts on a 12" bow to hold the cleats, handle, etc.
When it is my turn, I undo all his tinkering and adulteration, smooth down his
ugly camo paint and replace the bow deck with rivets and repaint it.
This has been going on for the past 30 to 40 years. LOL so you can only imagine
the HOLES this thing has in it. (all professionally fixed, I might add).
This is how it looks now . . . .
boat before paint.JPG
boat seats 004.JPG
R1-02278-017A.jpg
R1-02278-008A.jpg
I want to add the center divider and make new wood seats that fit appropriately.

You can add any configuration to your boat. The design is limited only to your imagination!!!!
Get some .080" or so aluminum sheet, draw on your design, cut out with a jig saw,
smooth down the edges, make whatever curves needed and rivet to your boat.
Rivet in whatever center supports needed. (or wood).
Get some aluminum edge guard (not that automotive plastic stuff) and you are good to go.

that's my plan !!!

Edit: as far as pricing goes, the only cost would be the sheet of aluminum that you
can find at the best price, the edge guard, available on line, and the rivets.
oh, and the two very nautical step plates (from e-bay).
OH, if you want to keep your tiller steer, put some planning into the size of the
"captain's cockpit" and you can still keep your tiller steer.
I just looked at your boat - - - it is a 13' ?? just measure out what you want.
use the "CNC" design technique (Cardboard n Chalk) . . . cut the elements out of
cardboard and tape them in place on your boat, then, with some chalk, draw out
your designs . . . chalk works better than a sharpie marker because you can make
the adjustments as you go along.

To get an idea of the cost, call your local aluminum supplier and see what a sheet of
36" x 60" x .080" (or so) would cost. Then, you will even surprise yourself at how you can
modify your open skiff into a vintage looking family cruiser !!!!

The curved vintage looking windshield is another matter altogether.
I am having a hard time finding one here in Florida at a decent price and condition.
I am continually scouring C/L and back yards for an old boat that has one, buy it,
keep the windshield and try to sell the boat for what I paid for it. (dream on, LOL).
But, with a little skill and planning, you can make one out of flat pieces of plexi.
They look good, but is not original to my boat.

Funny, I see a lot of cheap aluminum windshield boats around me, but I have no idea what they are for? Why would anyone ever want a closed bow? To keep your feet dry when you are smashing through the waves I guess?

Surfman wrote: what would you gain by doing it?
Jethro wrote: Why would anyone ever want a closed bow?

Sonny (OP) wrote: By this I mean turning an open aluminum skiff into a covered bow runabout. (pleasure craft)

Pleasure Craft: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
A pleasure craft (or pleasure boat) is a boat used for personal, family, and sometimes sportsmanlike recreation. Typically such watercraft are motorized and are used for family fun and leisure
on a river, lake, canal or waterway. Often times in a pic-nic environment.

two completely different lines of thought..... one is mostly for fishing and hunting.
the other is for simply having fun. A day out in the family boat, having fun just riding around.

Just a personal choice of how you want to enjoy your boat and time with your family.
Here in Florida, many people have both styles of boats. (including myself).
And it may also be an "age bracket" thing.
in "some" cases, people over 50 get it.
in "some" cases, people under 40 don't have a clue.
As the saying goes: different strokes for different folks.

I am turning 49 in a few months. :D

I have been fishing since I was 12 and out of my own boats since 2000. I fish the salt because it is 5 minutes from my house. I would much rather fish fresh water but most of the good fresh water fishing here in Jersey is in "no boat" reservoirs. There is also some great creek fly fishing that I have never tried. The only fishing I can do close to the house in the salt is Stripers. They run in the spring and the fall. The fall weather here on the water is absolutely miserable. You really get the crap kicked out of you. During the summer there are no fish to catch because the river gets stagnant. (water temps at 80 F.) My wife comes with me maybe 2 times a year in the spring.

I got this thought about the runabout because I have been in love with boats like that for many years. I can only fit one boat in the driveway so the fishing boat won the toss. The river bite over the past years is getting worse and worse. I have been thinking about switching to fresh water which means pounding the banks at the reservoirs and wading the creeks with a fly rod for trout.

I still would like to have a boat though. So I figured if I made a cozy little run about out of this boat I could maybe enjoy that with my wife during the nice weather. It scoots along quick enough to be fun. I figure starting with this boat gives me the peace of mind that I am in something sturdy and sound. I was thinking about decking it out with a single cockpit for two. Like the old rum runner boats. I would definitely want to add the remote steering, throttle, and electric start.

I like the pics you guys put up, especially the single rear cockpit model. Its a shame that you had to let it go.

Sonny said: I have been in love with boats like that for many years.

LOL - Sonny, I'm glad that "you get it" about the Pleasure Craft !!!!

Please keep us in the loop as to what you come up with. I, for one, am very interested.
(1) start saving your big pieces of cardboard for patterns to play around with.
(2) start looking for the remote steering stuff that will fit your boat and motor.

I guess if all you want to do is just ride around in it then it is fine but, it is definitely not for me. They do look nice though. I am more of a function than a form kind of guy. :)

Yeah, I guess I get it. I mean, my buddy has a 19' Four Winns glass I/O boat that I wouldn't buy in a million years, it's a useless boat to me, but he loves it.

Anyone ever convert a 4 stroke yamaha tiller to a remote? I have not been able to turn up much on the net. I did check the Yamaha parts sight and I see there are a couple of parts kits that look like they would be needed but there is no list or instructions to ensure that I get everything required. From what i was able to drum up I need to convert to electric start.

Any info would deb appreciated.....

Latest posts