What should I do about these bolts/holes?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Girevik

Reaction score
I just bought a boat ('86 Sea Nymph Traveler) and there are some bolts/holes that I need to take care of.

How should I fix these?

Transducer Holes
What should I fill these holes with?
Transducer Holes.jpg

Bolts through Transom
There is another just like it on the other side of the transom.
The corrosion/rust concerns me - can I replace these with stainless steel nut/bolt/washer?
Bolt thru Transom 1.jpg
Bolt thru Transom 2.jpg

Rivet Replaced by Bolt?
What should I do here? I assume I can replace with a stainless steel nut/bolt/washer.
Rivet Replaced by Bolt 1.jpg
Rivet Replaced by Bolt 2.jpg

Thanks.

For the bigger holes, you can have it welded or make an aluminum patch and seal it w/ JB Weld or 3M 5200.

Yes, you can replace the rusted bolts w/ SS.

Good luck!

Ictalurus said:
For the bigger holes, you can have it welded or make an aluminum patch and seal it w/ JB Weld or 3M 5200.

Good luck!

I'm glad to hear an endorsement of JB weld on aluminum. Since it's an iron-filled product, I was a little concerned. The iron, of course, is epoxy "encapsulated" pretty well. On my "new to me" boat, some PO had "Filled in" unneeded holes with misc. screws. I removed the screws, wire brushed the corrosion, and bridged the screw holes with JB weld. I'll find out in a few years how well it works, but it looks good now.

Ictalurus said:
But if you do, be aware that galvanic corrosion can also rear its ugly head due to the electric potential of the dissimilar metals. In this case, the SS on the aluminum will cause the aluminum to corrode away and leech out. This will occur many X-times faster in a saltwater use boat. And it is not an "if " it will appear - but "when", on boats in either water types

However, there are simple steps you can take to prevent it. Once can insulate the SS from aluminum, to prevent any contact between the metals. You can use tape, adhesive-lined heatshrink, nylon washers and the like. There is also a special proprietary grease product, called TefGel, that the Navy uses.

I myself put nylon washers under the bolt head and washers, with ad-heatshrink on the bolt bodies, but I use my hulls expressly in saltwater. I did have one of my 1st tins where I just wrapped 1 payer of tape on the bolt body and the under the washers and believe it or not, that did the trick ... at least for as long as I had the boat. Anything to 'break' the direct electrical contact between the 2 metals will suffice.

What size are the transducer holes? Is there anything behind the skin like wood? If there's not you could fill the holes with solid rivets or closed end blind rivets sealed with 3M 5200.

Mark_Fisher said:
Ictalurus said:

Good luck!

I'm glad to hear an endorsement of JB weld on aluminum. Since it's an iron-filled product, I was a little concerned. The iron, of course, is epoxy "encapsulated" pretty well. On my "new to me" boat, some PO had "Filled in" unneeded holes with misc. screws. I removed the screws, wire brushed the corrosion, and bridged the screw holes with JB weld. I'll find out in a few years how well it works, but it looks good now.

Yep, some people hate it, but it's worked very, very well for me through the years.

Girvek, I have a 1980 traveler. Mine is a 1648 flat bottom Jon. What model is yours? Post a pic or two of the boat sometime. I would jb weld the transducer holes and use ss hardware on the transom. Good advice above from others.

Latest posts