product to fix gouges in aluminum skiff...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tws

Reaction score
greetings all,

just wondering if there is a product liquid, paste or solid that can fix gouges in aluminum... in my case it's more for cosmetics. i inadvertently touched a metal plate while docking the other day and put some creases/gouges in my aluminum skiff, well above the water line i must add.

thanks for any solutions... beyond better boat handling on my part

tws

I use 3m panel bond for lots of stuff like this, drys hard sandable and will attach just about anything to anything. only downside is its expensive, jb weld would probably work just as well for something cosmetic

thanks deanwerden and barefoot johnny...

indeed a picture is worth a thousand words. i'll post a couple.

and i'll complete my profile.

first skiff since my days in southeast alaska... up there a 12' lund wrangel narrows fore and aft, fishing and trapping - a bit.

my accident, tho minor, was a result of not looking carefully enough.. since my speed with - a new to me 9.9 honda - was zero, i actually settled just off the corner of the dock ( a small local reservoir) i backed off a bit and nudge into forward and immediately out... my high prowed valco just bumped the corner of i metal railing. got one crease and gouge and a dotted line of crease marks very small.

anyway thanks again

tws

Kind of like the first ding on your new car. You cringe; you $itch; you blame somebody (yourself).. Then, you get over it and move on.

Hope the repair works out for you.

richg99

yes... i'am coming to that realization as well... **** happens... if nothing else it adds character to the skiff... here btw are the pics...

Attachments

• skiffgouge-1.jpg
    skiffgouge-1.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 850
  • skiffgouge-3.jpg
    skiffgouge-3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 850
  • skiffgouge-4.jpg
    skiffgouge-4.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 850
whoaaaa BARE aluminum ????

lol depends on what you can live with. White, blue, or black epoxy putty.
or, have it welded, smoothed down and buffed to "sort of" match.

but, if you choose the latter, you will be very good friends with your welder !!!

in my world, I would try to work it out with metal working / tinsmith tools.
s-l-o-w-l-y working the metal, pinging it back into the original shape
and see how it looks. May be slow going, but you could get most of the metal
back to where it belongs.

in my world, I would try to work it out with metal working / tinsmith tools.
s-l-o-w-l-y working the metal, pinging it back into the original shape
and see how it looks. May be slow going, but you could get most of the metal
back to where it belongs.

yes indeed and if you can get it looking good I would then sand it with a fine sand paper and then polish it up.

Latest posts