what ever happend to aquality?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXOnyxXx

Reaction score
through all the years Lowe has been a quality jon .. i am so disappointed in my new lowe, the paint is falling off the boat. this is the part that gets me ... my lil tracker seems to be of alot beter quality than my lowe .... the lowe concerns me on the build quality, i mean if ya can't get something as simple as paint right, why should i think the hull has any quality to it at all other than a name.

Sorry to hear. That must be frustrating. That said, I've heard of more than one MFG that got their paint screwed up. If this is the 2015 in your sig, I'd be calling Lowe/Dealer and finding out if they will do something about it. Lowe seems to be regarded as a good value for an entry level tin boat, and I've always heard that they provide great service. Hopefully this is one of those... Problems happen, but how they handle it... means more situations. Keep us posted.

Paint flaking off has everything to do with improper etching and priming of the aluminum. Aluminum instantly forms an oxide on contact with the air. This oxide barrier is what protects it from corrosion. Unfortunately, it's also what prevents paints from adhering correctly, at least not without etching with mild acid, and/or the use of a self-etching primer like zinc chromate. From what I understand, the EPA has made paint manufacturers do away with zinc chromate primers. Unfortunately, those are the most effective self-etching primers used for aluminum, and several manufacturers are encountering this problem with paint jobs.

I wouldn't worry. That 1648 with a 9.9 will probably outlast you by a good number of years. Lowe still makes good boats...better than Tracker.

Latest posts