Late 50's Lone Star - a worthwhile project?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Techstudent

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Recently stumbled onto Tinboats.net so new to the forum.

This old aluminum Lone Star (Malibu?) caught my eye last week and I'm wondering if it is a worthwhile project or would require too much work and money. The asking price is $600 and I was thinking of maybe attempting a rescue and offering $300.

It has a couple of holes (hacked) at the rear where control cables enter and the windshield is cracked near the top and contains a few holes above the steering wheel so would likely need replacement. chrome has pits, etc. Otherwise, I think it has character in spades and would make a fine, classic inland-lake fishing boat for landlocked salmon. I love the current color whether original or not.

I've never welded aluminum so would likely need to have the holes patched by someone who knows how to weld aluminum and like the current windshield style so would probably have one made and I know it's expensive to do so. Are there companies that can fabricate a windshield like this? I'm guessing it would be impossible to find one from a similar boat.

The owner said it does not leak and I think I'd probably just run it as it is until I could find the time/money for a complete restoration.

Attachments

• IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1642.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1644.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_1645.JPG
    IMG_1645.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_1646.JPG
    IMG_1646.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 725
Techstudent? Do a "seach" for posts by
TexasLoneStar56

She's doing a GREAT job on a 56 LoneStar and has gone from stem to stern rehabbing it. Lots of pictures, and great detail.

Looks like you are starting with a nice hull with good potential.

Best wishes.

lone star 1956 almost done.jpg

Thanks for the insight and suggestions guys. That '56' is beautiful! I like the lines, fins and curves of those early boats and it seems like a small aluminum boat is a good prospect for the novice restoration job. I know boats are usually money pits but, I suppose, if you don't have much invested there isn't a whole lot to lose if it does become a "pipe dream".

Roughly $3,000 for a restoration and another $2,000 for a decent motor would put the project at about $5,000 give or take.

Thanks again! :)

TechS?

I don't know, but $3,000 seems a lot, unless you are jobbing every thing out to a restorer.

But then, I've only rehabbed old Alumacraft 14ft boats.

Best wishes.

Kismet said:
TechS?

I don't know, but $3,000 seems a lot, unless you are jobbing every thing out to a restorer.

But then, I've only rehabbed old Alumacraft 14ft boats.

Best wishes.

It adds up fast.

Take your time and you won't need to spend it all at the same time.

That boat looks like she would be a real nice classic when complete.

I'm rebuilding a '68 StarCraft Falcon it's a 14' runabout. It's getting a new transom, floor, rotary steering, steering wheel, seats, paint and a '73 Mercury 402 40 hp motor. I'm working on a tight budget, so far including the boat and trailer I have spent under $1500 on it over the past 2 years. There's not much left to buy just need to assemble all the parts. The plan is to have it finished for next spring.

Thanks guys. The StarCraft project sounds great and the cost seems reasonable considering the work you have done. This boat is also 14'.

Anyone know, roughly, what the cost would be to get a windshield manufactured professionally by a company that does it?

Also, I've done some mig welding, etc. I should be able to patch these holes on my own no? The holes don't seem to present a structural/safety issue so if my aluminum-welding job is subpar it doesn't seem that it would be much of a concern.

TechStudent, I think that most of us just turn a blind eye to the cost
of fixing up old boats. I know I do. Looking towards the "goal" of having
a really nice Classic Boat is the enjoyment of the ride.
When major issues pop up, such as a new plexi windshield, it is a stumbling
block for a lot of us. $5-700 is quite a chunk of change all at one time.
I currently have one that is from 1958 and has not seen much Ultra Violet in its day.
It does have a small very neat crack that can be repaired.
If you go to a glass place and get a small bottle of MEK (methel ethel keytone) then practice
with some scrap broken plexi in welding cracks. When you get the hang of it, you can repair your own windshield.
Then, get some bottles of Plexi Buffing and Polishing compounds and the appropriate
power tools and try it yourself. You may be surprised at yourself how easy it is to salvage a piece of plastic.
windshield.jpg
If you want a whole new windshield, check this out: https://retroboats.ca/boat_windshields.html
I think you need to set a goal of what you want your boat to look like and how will you use it.
A boat with a windshield is very awkward for fishing and duck hunting.

So, your bottom line here now is ?? you are only LOOKING at this boat
and you have not actually purchased it ??

Good Luck and welcome aboard

Windshields on these older boat for the most part were not manufactured by the StarCraft or Lone Star. You should be able to find a worth while replacement from another boat.