adding a steering wheel to a tiller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotem

Reaction score
My Father-n-law has a 16 foot aluminum starcraft with a 25 hp johnson tiller I believe he bought new back in 1990. Due to shoulder surgery he is interested in installing a steering wheel. What parts or kit does this job take and where do I get those parts or is he better off going to a marina and having it done in the off season.

I just went though this decision process. I concluded it was less expensive to just buy a different boat than try to convert my 1648 Jon to cable steering. Most outboards require specific parts to attach cable steering that are not on tiller motors. Adding the console, the steering and the motor control will quickly add up to more than you are going to spend finding a different boat. Good luck.

I purchased the complete steering and throttle cables off a donor boat for $100 approx 18 years ago . . . still going strong.
Had to fab brackets though . . . so it can be done.

PS: I can go 90 miles on those 2 gas tanks. (Laughlin, Nevada to Parker, Arizona)

Attachments

• TwinTanks.jpg
    TwinTanks.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 974
  • MyLowe.jpg
    MyLowe.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 974
PATRIOT said:
I purchased the complete steering and throttle cables off a donor boat for $100 approx 18 years ago . . . still going strong. Had to fab brackets though . . . so it can be done.

Could you post a picture of how the steering cable attaches to the motor? That is a stumbling block for me. My motor has the key-way cut into the D handle like they used when cable steering was the norm. Most modern motors have provision for the steering cable to pass through the pivot pin which mine lacks, as from the pictures your's does also.

My setup just required a simple heavy gauge L-bracket bolted to the motor D-handle. I cut it out of .25 x 3" channel.
My cable doesn't pass thru the motor pivot as it is free standing from it's own pivot point. (that pivot support has a name but I forgot what it's called)
My goal was to not modify the motor in any way that could not be easily undone.

Attachments

• Motor Bracket.jpg
    Motor Bracket.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 939
I've done this on several boats now and was very happy. Side wheel with cable and pulley.

Attachments

• 9-20-2015 042.JPG
    9-20-2015 042.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 822
  • 9-20-2015 043.JPG
    9-20-2015 043.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 822

Latest posts