1998 Tracker PT 165 - Trolling Motor Issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

euroshowoff

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their trolling motor on an earlier tracker? The access hole is only large enough for the wires of the TM to fit through to the plug that installed on the deck of the boat. Looking at it, it looks like i would have to pull the entire deck off to somehow manage to get to the bolts on the tm. Thinking about cutting a new access hole? Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5226.JPG
    IMG_5226.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 799
Not sure. If you haven't done so, I'd look at all of the tracker rebuilds here (there are several) and see if anyone else ran into this. Is that carpet applied to a plywood deck? If so, that may be the access point.

Though I have not had this exact issue. I have had a bow cap that I couldn't access. I would cut the heads off your screws, then if the front cap is aluminum, Rivnut it and use 1/4-20 screws or bolts. This is what is did, it worked extremely well. Just DO NOT buy the cheap rivnuts that don't have knurling on them. The smooth rivnuts will spin when you tighten your screws down. The knurled ones will "bite" into the material.

I have done it a few times. The BEST way is to cut the head off the old bolts. Push them through. Leave them in the boat. You will then drill new holes and use TOGGLE bolts to install the new motor. Make sure you get the right size bolts, long enough to go through the deck and accept the toggle. This is all done from the top, very easy to do. You can also use ISOLATOR bolts made of rubber specifically for trolling motors. They keep vibration levels down. They work but wear out really quick causing the rubber to break. Any upgrade to a 24v or up will cause these things to wear out super quick.

thanks all. I've used toggle bolts on a previous build, over time they came loose so i was hoping to use the OEM hardware that came with the new trolling motor. I can't understand why some tacker's (earlier/later years) have a rectangle access hole cut and I only have a small circular hole cut. How they installed the OEM motorguide TM on there is beyond me. I was thinking of cutting out the circular hole bigger, so that I can attach the current mounting hardware from the bottom and get my hand up under the original for removal and installation of the new. The oem screws holding the current old TM are completely rusted.

One other way would be to pop the casting deck off. Then you have access under the aluminum panel. I ended up using "T" nuts for my new TM. This way they stay in place if I remove the trolling motor for any reason. Toggles will fall down if you remove the bolt, and if you get any rust on them, they won't spin off easily.

Good luck!

My 04 PT175 had the small access panel you refer to, made it easier as the panel was just large enough for my hand/arm to slide into and reach the backside bolt components. Have you considered cutting a hole large enough where you could install a hatch lid or one of those plastic access panels??

Latest posts